Generator Idling Problems

JT98Spirit

I just bought a 98' Itsaca, Spirit, 22 footer. The idle when the generator runs is not constant. The spark plug has been changed, gas has been drained, and the idle is still up and down. When the appliances are on it seems to run the best, but when I shut some of them off, the idle on the generator starts going up and down and as if it wants to shut off. The guy I bought it from says that is just they way it runs since it is small, 2.3 KW.

ARCHER

I think he is right. Mine does the same thing. When load put on it, it will idle up pretty good to supply voltage. When no pull, it will flucuate up and down. I've been told that is normal, and when I checked the owner's manual, it pretty much says the same thing. Just make sure oil (keep it full to line), don't forget to change the air cleaner and gas filter also. Run it each month for 30 minutes if your not using it that month. Put load on it while your running it. If you don't have an owner's manual, try to get a hold of one.
By the way, welcome to the forum..... :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;)

JT98Spirit

One other problem....when the idling is going up and down it causes the lights to brighten and then go dim. It is very annoying at night time. Any other suggestions or ideas?

Judy

I had the same problem a while back when I first bought my 86 Bounder. The voltage fluctuation caused my refrigerator to quit. It burned up an electric board in the frig(Norcold). I was told any fluctuation shut the generator off because the high voltage could damage the appliances.

ARCHER

i use one of those gages plugged into an outlet to make sure my voltage stays pretty constant even with the flucuation.

janicenlarry

I installed a Surge Guard in my coach and I believe it has saved me many $ protecting my system against low or high voltages. Cost is less than $400 and will save you thousands. Protects when on campground power or genny power. Great piece of equipment. :laugh:

can-do

JT you didn't mention what type of generator you have on your rig, but I'd assume it was an Onan. Although my experience is limited to 4.0 kw units, they develop the same problem that is caused by the governor arm and spring unit being improperly adjusted to compensate for the lack of generator load. If you look by the carb. you should see the throttle arm with a slide bar and spring attached. This is your governor control. Load up your generator and let it run for about five minutes, then start unloading it until the hunting and surging begins on the engine. At this time slowly bump the slide bar forward until the surging stops. In some cases, it may take a couple of tries but it will smooth out rather quickly when you reach that neutral point on the adjustment. It is not normal for the hunting and surging of the generator after a load has been released to continue for more than a moment or two. This adjustment I believe is also listed on Onan's site under your model number and troubleshooting tips.

Hope this helps,

Charles