Generators--LP or Gas?

Gary B

Generators--LP or Gas?

Hi Hermanj, most people including myself prefer the gas as generators use up the lp fairly fast. and it can be a pain to refill the lp tank. Welcome to the forum. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

hertig

Generators--LP or Gas?

Unless the generator is only for occasional use. Propane won't deteriorate or leave as much gunk in your generator as gas. Also, it's cleaner burning (less pollution).

Or unless you already have a large propane tank sitting around or are installing it in an RV which has a propane tank but no gas tank.

On the other hand, if you run a generator on propane you will get less power (or less gas efficiancy) than with gas. Plus propane generators tend to cost more.

One option is to do what I did - get a good gas powered generator and add a conversion kit for propane. Now I can use my big propane tank, or disconnect it and use gas - best of both worlds.

Dillon

Generators--LP or Gas?

We have a lp generator and I think it is expensive to run. We only get about 8 hours on a tank of propane. The tank size is about 1/2 larger than the ones you use for bbq grills. It does run cleaner and we haven't had a problem with it, but don't use unless necessary because of the cost.

janicenlarry

Generators--LP or Gas?

If I had it to do all over again, I would order my class A without any generator and then have it equipped with solar panels. Would carry a small Honda genny when I needed it to top batteries off or on cloudy days. These small Hondas are reliable and extremely quiet.