Generators

dawgon

I am in the process of purchasing a new 5th wheel. (Probably Montana.) In looking for generators, most of the gens with sufficient power for a 36 foot coach are very heavy. I was thinking of getting two small Hondas to hook together for weight distribution and handling ease. Any opinions?

bazza

Generators

of course you know that you have to keep the 2 gensets completely electrically seperated or the sparks will fly. :laugh:

hertig

Generators

Unless of course, you get 2 of the Honday EU2000, which are designed to be hooked together via their special (expensive) cord, or a homemade cord for much less...

If the trailer is 30 amp, 2 honda EU2000 should power it nicely. If it is 50 amp, perhaps not, but you may be able to compensate. I think there is a gizmo which alternates running the ACs, so you can keep both ends cool with less power than it is designed for. Or you can manually run only 1 AC at a time (i.e. living area during the day and bedroom at night).

Robert Calvert

Generators

We have a 3.5 KW Kipor gen. It is very quiet and cost less than $1000. We can stand next to it while it is running and have a conversation. It's way cheaper than the Honda. It came in very handy right after Hurricane Katrina. We're happy with it.
It is kinda heavy at over 100 lbs and a little awkward to handle, But together, the DW and I can lift it up into the pickup bed easily enough.

minerz

RE: Generators

I PACK A HONDA 3000 WATT, BUT DON'T USE IT MUCH SINCE I WENT TO SOLAR. I HAVE TWO 125 SOLAR PANELS ON TOP WITH A STAINLESS STEEL FRAME THAT WITH A HAND HELD REMOTE YOU CAN BRING UP THE PANELS WITH ONE BUTTON TO 45 DEGREES, THEN WITH THE NEXT BUTTON YOU SPIN FRAME TO PUT IT IN THE FACE OF THE SUN. THEN IT TRACKS THE SUN ALL DAY FULL POWER, AND KEEPS TRACKING WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN TO MEET THE SUN FACE ON THE NEXT MORNING WHILE I AM HAVING COFFEE. NO TOOLS TO ADJUST. MOST PEOPLE DON'T HAVE MUCH GOOD TO SAY ABOUT SOLAR, BUT I SURE LIKE THIS SETUP. I RUN 10 STORAGE BATTERIES. SUN IN THE DAY AND STORAGE AT NIGHT.