Getting Gas

Kerri

When I print up the list of truck stop/rv stations. I find that over on the trucker side it's diesal and no reg gas. Then I'm to get gas at the normal pumps but my van is 11ft and my camper is 29ft, it's a problem at times. Or is it just me. What can I do to help myself here? I know it might sound silly, but it's not really
Kerri

DL Rupper

Re: Getting Gas

You need to really drive that van carefully in and out of the pumps. I've done really great getting into the auto diesel pump with my truck and 31 foot 5er. On the truck side, the diesel pumps too fast and the big nozzle gets hung up in my fuel tank in-let. Not to speak of having to phone the pump attendant with your life history before they will turn the pump on.

The best way to get fuel on the auto side is to get to the outside pump and hope you can get back out in 1 piece. The only trouble I've had so far is stopping for coffee, not fuel and while pulling through the gas station I tapped a Ford truck sitting at the pump with the corner (closed) of my 5er's step. It only cost me 4 years and 4 added points ($$) to my insurance coverage and $500 to replace my steps. Never did get the coffee. I just have to remember my trailer tends to cut the corner's a little more than I realize. Wifey just sits there with her jaws clenched when I pull into the fuel pumps. Like I said, it's the getting back out that's hard. :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

Kerri, this is the number one reason that will hold me back from buying a larger motor home. Right now I can usually find a place to get (I've even had to wait for PUs with dual tanks, dragging feet, and go-inside-to-pay types.)

You will probably have to decide whether one station's gas price is enough different than that other one that is easier (and safer) to get into and out of.

I suppose I'll end up with a DP or 5'er someday, but for now my leetle Winnie is just maneuverable enough to get the job done.

vanole

Kerri,

I have a DP and usually go the truck pumps at Truck stops however their has been times that I could not find a truck stop and resorted back to the publication "The Next Exit". (Not saying this book is the solution) However the book publishes what is availiable gas, restaurants, shopping centers, motels and even car dealer etc. A nice feature is that the gas stations highlighted in red are supposedly RV friendly (red supposedly enough space to get in out of safely). Though a great concept sometimes they are tight and like they say above try to get to and outside pump.

I have used this book when towing my boat with a pickup and has helped many times going south on I-95 to FLA or SOCAR.

V/R
Jeff

Kerri

RE: Getting Gas

Thank You for your reply each of you. I just picked up the 2008 The Next Exit. I sure hope this helps. My trip goes from Illinois to Ky mid April. I really hope this trip goes will. For some reason I thought there was a site that helps your plan your road trips, with direction, and stations ok'd for RV's. But I'm not finding that anywhere. If you come across something like this PLEASE forward the information along.
Kerri

TexasClodhopper

Kerri, don't leave out the Good Sam Club's website in your route research. It works as one of my sources.

retired army

Just remember, make sure the gas tanks are parallel to the road. This makes it easy to get in and get out. Also, keep in mind the height of the overhang at the tanks. One thing we do is stop at Flying J when available. They are RV friendly. The Next Exit will also be of great help. We have the 07 edition. We generally start looking for gas stations when we get to half a tank. By the way, we mainly travel secondary roads off the interstates so we have to be careful. Good luck.

H2H1

Hey Larry and Brenda welcome to the forum, I to look for the Flying J RV center for gas. I have a 36 ' with a Honda in tow so getting in and out sometime create a problem. I also look for the way the tanks are placed as you stated parallel to the road to make it easier, also most truck stop make it easy to get in and out. anyway happy RV'ing

tallyo

Generally if you stay to the outside pumps, I find I can get in and out just fine. Every once in awhile some car tries to cut in front or a delivery truck stops where I have to wait for them to move, but I am not in a big hurry anyway so waiting lets me get my quota of people watching in for that day. I do know that some Flying J's, for example Seffner, Fl, have gas and diesel at the truck islands.

Cannot believe I just read a statement from a Texan saying that he didn't want a big RV.......Hard to fathom a Texan who admits he might not be able to handle something!!!!

Sorry Tex I can't help myself at times!!!

H2H1

Hey tallyo, we may never know but he may have one of those $$$$$$$ land yacht just to pull his Class C with. You know how them Texan like thing bigggg..and an't telling all

DL Rupper

The Flying J's are RV friendly, but they forgot to put in about 3 more islands. Everytime I stop by a Flying J they are backed up about 1 hrs worth on the RV island. So I just slide into the nearest auto outside diesel pump and I'm on my way in 10 min. Just so long as I don't turn too sharp. :laugh:

tallyo

I got it now..............Tex refuels at airports... I can see the tankers coming out now to meet him and fill'em up,y'all.

I got it folks. We need to start a company that refuels on the go. We'll have tankers that pull in front of the RV at 58MPH, then a little guy crawls out the top of the tank and jumps on the roof of the RV, then lowers himself over the side and fills our tanks... I have seen Gene Autry and John Wayne do that only they were trying to stop a runaway train or stagecoach... Same principle....

Kerri

RE: Getting Gas

Okay Dokie
I will start mapping out my drive, using this The Next Exit book. Sure hope this helps. Thanks for all your in put on this one. Second season out for me, we're really looking forward to this 10 day trip. I found my list that you all put together for packing the camper, still need to do more work on my list of tools. But lets see how well I have learned from this group! Hope I did my homework!! :laugh:
Kerri

karyljm

Years ago I worked at a Circle K and always wondered why they didn't make it easier for RV to fill up with gas. There was like 2 pumps on one end that if the station wasn't too busy an RV could ease in and fill up. :(

DARLING

Circle K is all bout the bottom line & I guess the think we are not inportant enough.
Darlin :cool: