Getting into RVing and need advice

G

Re: Getting into RVing and need advice

Bty ,, don't ever be afraid of asking more questions ,, because if i don't then some one else won't learn ,,, also call the factory and ask them the quetions u have ,, they won't think u'r a knuckle head , because they want the sale of their product ,, and IMO ,, i don't see why the dealer u'r dealing with don't carry diesels ,, they are the number 1 type of MH selling right now ,,, i don't mean this in a way to put down any other rver's ,, as for the CCC i can say this that i'm not really sure about the numbers ,, but the factory can tell u for sure ,, i just fix stuff that is broke and never really got into the total wieght type stuff ,, but i can tell u this ,, i have never worried about that stuff on my MH ,, so don't let the sales person get u feeling negative about the rv u want ,, when u u find it ,, it will be the one that u really want ,,, u know the type of feeling u get when u know this is our home away from home type of feeling ,, it fits u and that's it...
:)

TexasClodhopper

Rod kind of touched on the subject a little bit.

If you don't have a supporting dealer for Damon nearby, then look for a brand where there is a supporting dealer nearby. There are a lot of good brands out there. Too many to just get fixated on one brand.

Having said that, I'm sure there is a dealer closer to you than Florida or Alabama. It might not be as handy as a WalMart, but being 'nearby' is relative.

hertig

Never heard of a 'standard weight' before, but it does sound like what I know as 'wet weight'. Empty with full gas, propane, fresh water, and the designed number of 150 pound people (mine allows 154 pound people :) ) If this is the case, then your CCC is 28K - 24866 or 3134, about right for a single rear axel, dual wheel diesel coach.

The GVWR is the maximum the coach is rated for. The CVWR is the maximum that the coach and everything it is towing can weigh. So if your coach is maxed out, you can tow an additional 5000 pounds. If you only carry 1100 pounds of stuff in the coach, then (assuming the hitch can handle it) you could tow 7000 pounds.

Keep the GAWR (maximum weight on the rear axel) in mind too. My coach has a CCC of about 3000 pounds, but the rear axel weight is 19000 pounds, which means that I can only add 1000 pounds to the rear axel. Guess where all the storage is... Note also that the 'pin weight' of whatever you are towing is counted against the coach weight limits. In other words, hooking up to a trailer with a pin weight of 150 pounds is exactly equal to adding 150 pounds of weight to the rear end of the coach.

G

Damn Nash was right John knew the numbers ,, i wish i got more into that stuff instead of being a rv grease monkey :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

undecided

RE: Getting into RVing and need advice

Thanks all of you who took the time to respond. It opened my eyes to things I did not know.... I have been all over the board on what unit I would like...... I know all along that we would like a bunk house. Just so much easier with the kids. We are now very interested in the Newmar Allstar that has the Mid-Engine Diesel. It seems like a really good unit. It drives really nice and the unit seems well made. It is only one year old ( the mid-engine units) so I am curious what your opinion of these units are... as some of you seem like you work on these units. Newmar seem to stand behing their product - Not as much storage with the mid-engine - any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Mark

C Nash

Mark, Newmars are really good units IMO but, not familiar with the mid engine set up at all. Kind of leary of odd setups. Where is the radiator? Guess it would have to be a side mount. Have you talked to the previous owner? Be interesting to see why he traded in a year old unit. What is the milage? Guess this would get the engine out from under the bed. I still like the diesel in back and a gasser in front but, I'm also from the old school that thinks the engine in a car should be front to front instead of sideways and powered from the rear wheels. :laugh:

G

yea right Nash ,, u drive a corsair ,, witht eh engine in the back :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Bty i myself have wondered about the mid engine coaches ,,,
WHAT THE HECK U GOTTA TAKE APPART to get to them .. i have never seen one ,, but sure would like to ,, to see what i'm up against when i have to service one ,,, but as to stay with the post,,,,,
Yes ,, undecided Newmar is a good brand ,, they have a pretty good service after the sale ,,, But IMO ,, i would look into the Tiffin line ,, i think Nash and i have both stated that before ,,, but if u'r gonna spend that kind of money ,, for a few dollars more ,, the Tiffin is the way to go ,,, but JMO

Nash have u heard from DL :question: :question: :question:

C Nash

Rod not a word from DL :angry: . Think Mark is wanting a bunk model and dont believe Tiffin offers one but I haven't checked. Mark reading on the mid engine owners report that they are easier to get to for working on. Google mid engine MHs and you can get some info.

SHINE

RE: Getting into RVing and need advice

I AM A SALESPERSON FOR SHERMAN RV CENTER IN SHERMAN MISSISSIPPI, WE HAVE AN ALLEGRO 35QBA IN STOCK. IT IS ON A FORD 22000 # CHASSIS (ALSO AVAILABLE ON A FRTLINNER CHASSIS WITH A DIESEL ENGINE) WHEN YOU ARE COMMING SOUTH AT THE END OF THE MONTH, YOU COULD TEST DRIVE, OR WE COULD CUSTOM ORDER WHAT YOU NEED. THIS TIFFIN PRODUCT HAS SIDE VIEW CAMERAS FOR EXTRA SAFTEY.

GIVE ME A CALL

ANDY PEARSON
662-538-2710

TexasClodhopper

Oh, boy. Not a bit of respect for what we have on this forum. Here we go again. (And in ALL CAPS, too. ;) )