getting ready for a trip

G

ok , now most of u know that i work on these things for a living ,, but i was wondering this...
How come it takes me over a month to get the MH ready for a 2 week trip ,, i always have at least a dozen ck list to got thru ,, does anyone else got thru this or do u just get up and go ,, i would like to see the input from some of u ,,
I always say that the MH will be ready to go on a blink next year ,, but i always find myself double thinking and double cking ,, is this right???
It may be due to the fact that i see all the stuff that goes wrong with these beast and maybe i'm just being over cautious ,,, but agian i would like to here more from u all out there ;) :approve: :approve: :cool: :cool: :) :)

Steve H

RE: getting ready for a trip

[SIZE= 10pt]No doubt it is the perfectionist in you and the fact that you have much larger knowledge base about RV's than us average Joes!

[/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt]It takes us about three days to stock food, pack the extra clothes, do the mechanical maintenance (be it tire pressure, oil changes, checking water heater, batteries etc.) Then off we go! If we forget something we do without or buy it along the way.

[/SIZE][SIZE= 10pt]Sometimes ignorance is bliss :laugh:

[/SIZE]

TexasClodhopper

Re: getting ready for a trip

After the first trip of the year, we are pretty well set.

But that first trip is a duzer. I'm going around cleaning out and picking up and airing up and checking up for a whole day or two. Sallyberetta is gathering all the 'stuff' we need to take.

Then we gripe at each other as we take all this 'stuff' out until late into the night before we leave ...

Why did we wait so long to pack this durn thing up? :blackeye:

Then you get out onto the road and throw caution to the wind 'cause there's always some guy like Rod out there waiting to fix up what's broken! ;) :clown:

Kirk

I don't recall ever taking more than a few days to prepare for the first trip, at least no unless some unusual problem was discovered. Now that we are fulltime, we often sit for one to three months and it typically takes use several days to prepare for travel because of the amount of "stuff" that we put up or set out.

G

Those are some good points but agian i am always thinking negative i guess ,, i ck and reck everything ,, even up to the time i leave ,, but u'r right ,, tex once u'r on the road and all the noises and bumps are gone ,,, i relax and enjoy the trip ,, but for me it always takes a month to get ready ,, our MH is pretty well stock ,, as far as the stuff we leave in there ,, but that's the wife's job ,, mine is the make sure everything runs ,, job ,, i know that my MH is in top notch condition ,,, but i always get the fear of haveing to work on it on the road ,, i just want to go and come home ,, if something breaks at the CG then i'll fix it there ,, or the same at home ,,, i guess it's just me ,, i'm too pickey when it comes to my coach or any of my customer's rvs ,, that's how i feel about other's rv's ,, like i feel about mine ,, so if u'r winsheild was dirty before u brought it to me ,, for some other repair ,, then u'r winshield will be spotless when u get it back ,, but that's me ;) :approve: :approve: :cool:

H2H1

HEY TEX THAT AT $85+ PER HOUR so I guess they can take a nap since the owner left it for repairs.

Now Rod if it takes you that long just to get ready you are just plain picky. I keep mine on ready as I never know when I will get the erge to go. being it our second home all the appliances are there, the clothes are always ready, food we get when we get where ever we are going. we do stock up on water and drinks and stuff for a sandwich along the way, other than that it's setting on GO.

elkhartjim

We're prepared like Hollis. Empty the stick house fridge of fresh veg if any and go. We try to keep a list while away of things we run out of and then restock when we get back home. Fresh bread, chips, crackers, sandwich fixings are a must. Our problem is planning far enough ahead to get cg reservations where we want.

DL Rupper

Relax Rod. Just keep a spare outfit of underwear, soxs and toilet items in the RV. Then just load your everyday travel clothes, groceries, check your tires and GO. I know your MH is ready at all times. CHECK FOR BAD WEATHER ;)

elkhartjim

DL...so did "you" check the weather for Atlanta area over the weekend or is this a "do as I say not as I do" story. Hope the adjuster gets there today. By the way DL, Progressive adjusters are instructed to write the estimate for about half on smaller jobs because they know the majority of people never get the small jobs fixed they just pocket the money and never no they've been 'had"

DL Rupper

Jim, being a full-timer you just have to go with the weather as it comes if you paid for a week. That's part of the fun. Of course it's only fun and exciting when you escape unscathed. Now it's oh, $%&*. Actually they are forcasting another batch of storms coming in from the west later this week.

This is probably going to be a big fix that I will take to a Dodge body repair facility in Ohio. I'm heading that way to vistit family.

H2H1

Hey DL you know Rod onlY needs a pair of shorts and a pair of swimming trunks. Laying on the beach doesn't take much you know.

G

ok guy's i get u'r point ,, but in the back of my mind i still see myself out on the side of the road ,, with a blown tire (easy fix) ,, but i also see me with few of the worse cases (drivshaft broke ,, engine with a hole in the block) sorry i do get to cautious on these trips ,, i guess that my Dad kinda burned into me ,, but this trip i will relax ,, i have a few things to do to the MH and then i'll relax and hit the road ,, thanks guy's :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :bleh:
I must say i would be a good Emergency Manegment Guy ,, cause i perpare for the worst ,, but that's me ,, if it will go wrong ,, i want to be prepared ,, ;) ;) ;) :laugh:

H2H1

Rod good point, however why worry about things you can't see or predict. Enjoy your life while you can. If thing happen then you fix/repair. just plain enjoy your trips.

DL Rupper

Hey Rod, if you are planning on full-timing you are going to have an ulcer the rate you are worrying about everything.

elkhartjim

Hey Rod, now I'm surprised Tex hasn't chimed in on this but I've got your problem solved. Get yourself another mh to use as a toad and when or if the one you're driving breaks down just jump in the other one and hi tail it to the next dealer and buy another spare. See...no more worries. As DL says, if you're going to full time I would suggest you over night in hospital parking lots as much as you can. You're gona give yourself a heart attack. Just giving you a hard time Rod. I know I sometimes worry way too much. Why worry about stuff you have no control over?

rjf7g

Do you have fun preparing for the trip or is it a pain? If you have fun, keep going at it. If it is a pain, seek medical attention.

G

ok to all u thanks ,, i'm gonna try and relax ,, but i guess it's the seeing things that happen (that i have to fix ) that makes me cautious ,, i know i may never have a prob ,, but i always think i might ,,, ok here goes ,, the MH (still winterized) is gonna get the once over this spring ,, and then i'll forget about it ,,,
If i want to go then i'll go ,, (wonder how many tools i can haul) oops sorry ,,,
I have seen to much break and ruin peoples vacations and plans ,, so as of now I'm gonna go with the flow ,, anway how much can u ck and reck in a month ( i get my list ) ok now i'm relaxed ,,, if i go full time ,, i think i won't worry about the mh so much ,, i'm living in it ,, and that's more than sitting wondering what can and will go wrong with it ,, now that's better ,, i'll go full time ,, less worries .. again thanks for all u'r post ;) :laugh: :approve: :bleh: :clown:
And yes , Becky ,, i do have fun planing for a trip ,, but it takes thought and that makes my brain hurt ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Oh yea Tex is out rving ,, he left this morning (lucky stiff) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :approve:

H2H1

ROD JUST relax and have fun. I know I pumped just on our trip just went start talking about it. Good luck my friend :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

H2H1

thta last post was rotten what I was saying just have fun. I get excited and pumped up just talking about our up coming trip :laugh: :laugh: