Getting sucked in

FordTruck

OK, OK OK don't get excited about my subject title. It was just a grabber !!!

We've got a 22' Airstream TT (5000GVWR) and pull it with a F-150 5.4L (Max 7800) & weight distributing hitch but no stabilizer bar between the hitch and the trailer.
The trailer tows easy and straight, except when on the highway when being passed by big rigs (18 wheeler types). I'm finding that as the trucks approach from the rear and begin to pass, the air pressure pulls the trailer and F-150 toward it.
My question is, would a stabilizer bar make any difference? If so, how and why? If not, thanks anyway.
For now, I'm keeping a sharp eye out in my outside mirrors and holding tight and steady when the big rigs approach.
Thanks,
FT

s.harrington

Re: Getting sucked in

You should already be using load leveling bars and you may want to get a sway control. You will still get pushed around a little but it will be easier to control. Single axel trailers are worse.

TexasClodhopper

The same thing happens on my MH to some extent. There's been so much truck traffic on this trip I'm on that I've become really aware of it. They'll 'push' the rear out as they start passing and 'push' the front as they go by that. I can see that if you weren't ready, you might have a little surprise.

I think the difference on different trucks is their attempts at becoming more aerodynamic.

Poppa

Stabilizer will be a help. Upgrading the shocks on the truck will also help. I have the same problem with Nellie bell a class A motor home and I have found that keeping an eye open for the and give them a litt more room. The closer to the white line you are the more you get sucked in and the faster a truck passes you has the same effect.