GFCI Breaker problem - No power

Netbilling

Hi,

I have a coachman Cross Country motor home. I bought a floor heater to save on propane and plugged it into a GFCI protected outlet in the living area (one without a reset switch on it). After some time while I was gone, all of the power it out to all of the GFCI protected outlets in the coach which include the kitchen area and the bathroom area. The other outlets still work in the motor home. 2 of the outlets have reset switches and neither will actually reset (maybe because there is no power?). All of the other power in the motor home works and I have reset the breakers in the power center.

I know nothing about this stuff so I would apprecaite some help.

Thank you, Mitch Farber

Kirk

Re: GFCI Breaker problem - No power

I am wondering if you have checked the circuit breakers that are located on the 120V-ac power distribution panel to see if one is open? It sounds to me as though you did not trip the GFI but rather the circuit breaker. Somewhere in the motorhome is a power panel that will have circuit breakers and it sounds like one is open. In our motorhome there are two breakers for the outlets, one for the front which is where the GFI outlets are and the other is for the outlets in the rear of the motorhome such as the bedroom. To check the circuit breakers, you must push the breaker handle all of the way to the off position, and then return it to the on position. If tripped, the handle will be in some mid position but it might be difficult to see the change, or it could be well over toward the off side, depending upon the make and type of breaker. But to reset, all must be pushed to off, first then back to on or it will not reset.

Come back and let us know if that is the problem.

Netbilling

Kirk - 12/30/2006 8:49 PM

I am wondering if you have checked the circuit breakers that are located on the 120V-ac power distribution panel to see if one is open? It sounds to me as though you did not trip the GFI but rather the circuit breaker. Somewhere in the motorhome is a power panel that will have circuit breakers and it sounds like one is open. In our motorhome there are two breakers for the outlets, one for the front which is where the GFI outlets are and the other is for the outlets in the rear of the motorhome such as the bedroom. To check the circuit breakers, you must push the breaker handle all of the way to the off position, and then return it to the on position. If tripped, the handle will be in some mid position but it might be difficult to see the change, or it could be well over toward the off side, depending upon the make and type of breaker. But to reset, all must be pushed to off, first then back to on or it will not reset.

Come back and let us know if that is the problem.

Hi,

I did check and reset all of the breakers in the panel located in the hallway. They all seem to be ok. Is it possible the ones for those outlets are somewhere else or would there be a fuse somewhere?

Thanks, Mitch

Bush70

do you have an inverter? the GFI outlets my run through the inverter so the can be used off the inverter. There are breakers and a fuse at the inverter. Try that. A freind had a cross country with a small inverter in the compartment and the compartment leaked and shorted the inverter. Good Luck

Kirk

Bush has a good idea. It is very unlikely that there is a breaker in addition to the distribution panel, unless you have an inverter. But that is a clear possibility. A GFI outlet can fail and if it were over loaded, it might make it more likely. If you have a meter, check to see if there is power to the outlet. If the GFI is open, there would be power to the GFI but not to any of the outlets.