Give me heat

sherridanj

I have a 96 Itasca Suncruiser 37w. I had the rv for a short time and never had to turn the heat on until now. I can't get the heat to come on. I don't know if I am doing something wrong. The furnace definately works because the water heats up, the frig works in LP mode and it is also evindent that it works by that blue flame that i see when I look at the furnace. When I turn the thermastat to the heat setting, the blower turns on but I get know heat. Is there some switch or magic button I need to push? I am lost and cold, can anyone help me? Thanx.

ARCHER

Re: Give me heat

Normally the blower will come on "first" and run for a little bit (less than a minute) and then the heat will come on, but it will take a few seconds to feel the heat from the vents. Try it again and let it run for a couple minutes before you do anything else. If your sure the furnace lights (make sure it stays lit) and is burning, it will just take some time for heat to show up.

Bush70

Hot water has nothing to do with heat. Two differant things. You have a hot water heater and a furnace. Furnace heats with hot air. Also I don't think you can see into the furnace to see a flame so maybe you are looking at the hot water heater. If you get fan and no heat after a period of time it probably is not lighting. Might be as simple as dirty or could need a control board. Best to have a good propane company check it. Just a thought, mine does have a seperate gas shutoff under the coach for the furnace. Trace the gas line just to be sure it is on.
Good Luck

dennis1949

Mine did the same thing. Found moisture in propane line from furance to main line. Cleaned the line out and it works fine now.
Dennis Carpenter

Kirk

I would bet the furnace is not lighting. The most probably cause is the sail switch not closing. If you are operating from the battery there is a good chance that the voltage to the blower is too low for it to move enough air. The furnace is not a simple thing if you have no knowledge. You would be wiser to pay a service tech. rather than just plugging new parts. You can spend a lot of money if you do that and still have no heat.

ARCHER

Goof points by Bush70 and Kirk. There is a gas shut off that goes to the furnace and must be in the open position to allow gas to furnace. Battery condition is critical and must be correct voltage, as Kirk states, or other items may not light, but since your getting hot water, I'd say battery is ok. I can't see my furnace flame, so Bush is correct. LP nothing to mess around with if you don't know what your doing. Be careful ;)

s.harrington

What kind of furnace do you have? Hydroflame or suburban? If it is lighting and staying lit it will heat. Electrically the furnace acts like this. Turn on t-stat and adjust temp. Relay is activated. after about 30 seconds the fan motor will come on. This will activate the sail switch alloweing power through the limit switch to the Direct Spark Ignition board. after 19 seconds the board should try to open the gas valve and ignite the gas for 6.5 seconds. If it fails to light the board will shut down the ignition cycle but not the fan. Most boards of that age will try this 3 times before going into lock out. Sound like something is bad inside the furnace and you should have a qualified tech take a look see.