GM vs Dodge

DL Rupper

I've been telling my son for years that if he buys another truck to get the Dodge. Well last week he bought a loaded Chevy 1500 Silverodo Z-71 4x4. He got $7,000 off the 2009 sticker price. He also got more than he bargained for. The transmission clanked once at 50 miles and by 198 miles it was totally gone. They are replacing the whole trans as soon as they get a new one off the assembly line. He tried to get a new truck since it failed so soon, but they just smiled and said no. The only thing they are doing besides replacing the trans on a brand new truck is extending the warranty to 48 mos/60,000 miles.

Shoulda , coulda, didn't buy a Dodge ;) :eek: :laugh: Now he's driving a rental Buick 4dr sedan instead of a new truck. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just another I told you so from the old man. :approve:

C Nash

Re: GM vs Dodge

Now DL we all know that you sliped under that chevy hood and poured syrup into the trans just so you could tell your son "I told you" :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

I know DL could not wait to get that story on here, they will get it right. He did not have the Allison in that 1/2 ton.

NOW, the local Chevy dealer called me today. He has a new 2007 3/4 ton, 4x4, 6.0, automatic, power windows, power seats, steering wheel controls and lots more on it than I can remember. The window sticker is $32,400 (close). GMAC told them to get rid of it. The new price is $18,300.00.

Shadow

Just to mess with DL a bit. My neighbor who had bought a new 08 Dodge Diesel Mega Cab. Had nothing but problems with it. The O2 sensor kept going out on all that new smog junk. Every couple of weeks he was in a different truck. Dodge never could get it fixed.
He finally got an attorney and is now driving a new ( Ken is going to like this ) 2500HD 4x4 Diesel. Now I'm back to trying to slap the smile off his face when he keeps passing me blowing the horn!! :)

DL Rupper

Hey, I just talked to the Dodge dealer and he said while the negotiations with GM were going on over a possible merger, it was mutually agreed to keep the Dodge truck line over the GM trucks.

He also told me all 3 new diesels (2007 +) were having troubles with the new emission control systems. Dodge is using the Mercedes system that works in Eurpoe with their emission standards.

C Nash

Now DL why do you want to start a rumor like that :eek: You know Dodge will not take over Chevy :laugh: Just the Dodge dealer pumping his chest and wishing :laugh: ;)

LEN

Well the dodge Diesels do go TU too. My son who is a Diesel mech. could not find the problem with his(newer model, nice truck) had some kind of miss while towing. Took the Dodge shop a couple weeks of parts changes with no luck(and they had all the test gear). And finally put in a factory fresh motor, under warrentee. Happy kid, hell kid he's 38.

LEN

Kirk

Get a good truck. Buy a Ford! The other two companies are not going to be around to honor that extended warranty.

DL Rupper

Hey Kirk, this thread is just about GM vs Dodge. We all know about them bad ol Ford 6.0 L Power Strokes. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bleh: I really wouldn't give 2 cents for any of the newer low sulfer burners (2007 + diesels).

Grandview Trailer Sa

Boy DL, glad my 2006 GMC's don't fall into your catagory. GM stated today that they are NOT in negeotations with Chrysler to merge. MY GM dealer told me that the only thing they want out of Chrysler is the Jeep and Mini Van's, not the trucks.

C Nash

Now I could accept the jeep and vans as being good enough to sport the bow tie. :laugh:

H2H1

Well as a true Chevy lover, I must say I would rather push a chevy than drive a Dodge, or a Ford. But Nash has stated a very nice thing to support bow ties on Jeeps. :laugh:

bpe

All newer diesels with egr and dpfs are having issues. Cummins are the strongest and all made from early 07 back are great engines. late 07 up have egr and dpfs and they are destroying the turbos with smut. Exception to this is the truck that pulls loads 90% of the time, they're trouble free. They get hot enough exhaust to burn off smut. This will eventually be worked out, but for now.......Many with new trucks are removing egr and dpf, loosing their warranty in order to keep out of shop. This is unlawful. I personally won't buy a newer diesel truck.

deniloo

RE: GM vs Dodge

Hey Ken wish I could come get that new 2007 for 18k! I have the same truck but I paid the sticker price for it in 2007........! I was lucky with my 5th wheel though. It was a new never titled 2003 and I bought it in 2005 at a great discounted price. Because it was never titled it still had full warrenty on it too! Not one problem with it so far! I would not hesitate to buy another Gulf Stream! Has been a good investment for us!

Steve H

bpe - 2/7/2009 6:16 PM All newer diesels with egr and dpfs are having issues. .

I take exception to that broad statement. While there are issues with some DPF systems they are far from all inclusive. I know of no one personally who has had problems with the DPF on their new trucks. My truck has been trouble free. Many of those having problems have added tuners and/or other performance type parts. Those running stock trucks, overall have fewer problems.

It will be interesting to see how the new emission systems are working 5 years down the road!

I have owned all three, Ford, GM, & Dodge. All performed well! The Chevy is my personal favorite to date.

Happy Camping!

bpe

I'm in Houston, Tx and there is literally thousands of dually diesels here. I work construstion and talk to a lot of owners of these trucks. Anyone I've talked to are having problems with these newer emmision diesels. You are very fortunate if yours is trouble free. You can go to the Ford, Chevy or Dodge diesel forums and you'll find lots of individuals filing under "lemon laws" getting a buy back from manufacture. Some dealers, very large dealers, are removing dpf and egr in order to fix trucks where as manufacturer has run out of parts to fix the trucks. This is illegal but its going on. A good friend of mine has had his diesel in shop 5 times in the last year and has sit at dealership for over a month the last time. It also seems no one using these trucks strickly for work, pulling loads all the time, has any problems. Under slow traffic, no load, the dpf cannot burn off the smutt sent to it by the egr when it regenerates. Exhaust don't get hot enough. Smutt builds up in turbo causing failure. Yes and you're right about people adding tuners to these diesels. They cause additional smoke usually which worsens the problem. The one manufacturer meeting 2010 emmisions standard is having the most problems. All will have to comply to this next year. 5 years down the road will be interesting. As for me, I'm sticking with pre egr and dfp diesels for now.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I totally agree that you have to work a diesel. I would take a guess that over 1/2 the diesel engines in pickups are not being worked or driven enough to justify the cost of buying or ownership. I was told over 20 years ago, by a dealer, that you had to drive a diesel 50,000 miles a year to justify it. With today's cost of the diesel option, who knows what that figure has gone to. Surely it has possibly doubled. If you want to drive your pickup like a car, buy gas.
I actually have one of my diesels for sale. After 2 1/2 years, it has 26,000 miles on it. Love the truck, just tired of "justifying" it.