Go big or not?

nanablue

We are going fulltime in 2005. Should we wait and buy a big rig (freightliner) and a 35' fifth wheel in 05 or buy it now? Or should we buy a smaller setup and start small? We are selling everything!

C Nash

Go big or not?

Hi nanablue,
Have you camped before? Do you have a camper now? I would buy one far enough ahead before going fulltime so I could work out the bugs with several camping trips. If this is your first venture into camping I probably would go used and smaller now to see if this life style was for me. Keep us posted :)

nanablue

Go big or not?

Thanks, C Nash. We have been camping for the last 15 years. We have 2002 30' Hi Lo travel trailer. We are trying to sell it and save our money or buy our full time equipment.

C Nash

Go big or not?

Guess 15 years should be enough camping for you to know you like the life style :laugh: . I would want a new rig when I started but, with several trips to work all the bugs out before leaving :approve: Get the slides(JMO) Extra room really comes in handy when staying for extended periods and YES it's something else that can give trouble but worth it in my opinion.

nanablue

Go big or not?

When we buy our new Excel 35' about 17,000 lbs loaded, which tow vehicle should we consider? Freightliner/International or F650 or above? Does anyone have knowledge or experience with this? We are trying not to make a big mistake before full timing.

Nanablue
Hi Lo 30' Limited
Avalanche Truck

Jim@pocketmail

Go big or not?

Check the Escapees RV Club site and the MDT forum.

Those guys there have been there/ done that so the saying goes. Also used class 8 tractors are very afordable and for 35-55K you can have a serious hauler. I have seen some at the Escapee Ralley in Gosen this fall.

I tow 16,250 with a F350 DRW PSD but 17K would be a little heavy for this truck. 16k and down is ok by me.

Jim

shag01_1999

Go big or not?

I pull nearly that much with a 3/4 ton, which I don't recommend but I think the question to be answered is "do you want to spend more so that you won't slow down going up the long hills" Primarily that is what the bigger unit will do for you. Plus it gets you within specs for your warranty on your tow vehicle. If you overload a smaller unit, you may void your warranty.
Happy camping
Bud

hertig

Go big or not?

Worse than voiding your warrentee, if you cause any damage/injury in an accident, the other guy's lawyers may be all over you for having an 'overloaded' setup.

Thomas Schaefer

Go big or not?

I strongly agree you should get your equipment in advance of begining your adventure. We will go FT this summer; bought the Alfa 3 years ago. Working on bugs and learning the systems. Also making improvements to the rig. Another really nice part is the possibilty you can have a majority, or all of the rig paid for before you head out.

Good luck and maybe we will meet on the road. Planning to workkamp to stay busy, but have fun all the time.