Good compressor .... & Tire pressure indicators ?

Gritz

Anyone have suggestions for a good lightweight air compressor (I'm thinking electric) to have on hand while RVing? Something you could use to air up the tires on truck and trailer, blow up the rubber raft, and blow out the computer, etc??

Also ... what is a good brand of the valve cap air pressure indicators that you can put on your tires? I was looking for 65 lb psi for the trailer, and it seems most are made for cars. I know it isn't as good as actually checking .... but more or less something to keep an eye on.

FogNobber

I likemy Husky "Air-To-Go" bought at Home Depot fpr about $99. 11-v, goes to voer 100 psi and has a small tank, lightweight with wheels and a collapsible handle.

Gritz

Thanks FogNobber, I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm thinking that this would be one of the tools on the "must have" if you do any boondocking.

DL Rupper

Hey FogNobber, will the Air-to-Go actually fill a light truck tire to 80psi :question: . I have a "Truck light weight compressor" that claims 125psi, but will only fill to 65psi on a "E"(80psi)load range tire. If Air-to-Go will do the job, I need to get one :bleh: .

John Harrelson

Scenario ....
You are out in the boonies and wake up to find a flat tire on your rig.. You are in an RV that does NOT have a generator or built in air compressor on your RV.
What do you do???

You break out the "TRUCK AIR" 12 volt air compressor and in about ten minutes you are ready too roll.

Now if you had a 110 volt compressor, where would you plug in in??
If you had no compressor, how long would you sit there ???

The "Truck Air" is used by my company during Wildland Fire Season in the western USA.
We pump up large truck tires on the water tankers and reefer trucks (110 psi) As well as the trailer tires and pick up truck tires.

Is it as fast as the service station air hose ?? Of course not..
Is it as fast as the 110 volt models that everyone seems to brag about ?? Absolutely not..

Will the 12 volt "Truck Air" compressor pump up your tire and allow you to continue with your trip without waiting for the repair truck to get there ?? ( how LONG will you wait?) That is if you have the means (cell phone signal strong enough ?) to contact your roadside assistance provider.

REMEMBER... You are in the boonies or along side the highway in the middle of nowhere.. There is NO 110 VOLT generator !!!!!!

So it takes five minutes to pump up a tire instead of one minute .... So what ?? The alternative is to sit there and pray for someone to come along and bail you out of your problem..
Or use the 12 volt air compressor ...

"Truck Air" is the only 12 volt air compressor approved by the National Consumers Guide. They tested it on the TV series and also published it in their monthly magazine. It will not burn out or overheat.. It will supply 275 psi.. I know of no tire that carries that much pressure.

They do an excellent job for the job they are designed to do.

John

Gritz

Great ... more to check out. :laugh: I'm wondering if Wal-Mart or Schucks carry the "Truck Air"? Price seems right online .... about $49.95.

DL Rupper

Hey John, If I woke up in my RV out in the boonies without an on-board generator or portable generator I would be inclined to have my sanity checked :bleh: . I may have a flat tire out in the boonies in my truck without a generator, but wait :blackeye: , I would pull my "Truck Air" out and put some air in my tire :clown: . I checked my portable 12 volt compressor and discovered it was a "Truck Air" :laugh: . I have been fortunate enough to have only needed it 2/3 times and thought it only pumped the tire up to 65psi :eek: . Apparently I didn't wait long enough to get the full 80psi :blush: . It slows down as it fills up. I guess I'm better prepared than I thought :) . Thanks for the info :approve: .

hertig

Or if you have Air brakes/Air suspension, you may be able to just plug a hose into the on-board air compressor...

By the way, watch out for those 'valve stem pressure indicators'. They tend to fail a lot, and when they fail, they often let the air out of the tire. I'm thinking an internal system (like Smart Tire) may be a better way to go, and they will alert you to problems even when you are driving, not just from the outside, when you are stopped.

FogNobber

The Husky I referenced easily fills by trailer tires to 80 psi and was used by a neighbor at a CG to put over 100 psi in his motorhome tire. Additionally it will work with my Honda eu2000 generator.

Gritz

The Husky is indeed at Home Depot for $99 but I haven't been able to look at the "Truck Air" yet. Checked at Schucks, Flying J, and AutoZone but ... no have. AutoZone had one with a battery but it did not look like one that you could replace if it turned out short-lived. The Husky looked well built and solid.

John Harrelson

Gritz, that price (49.99) seems a little high.

I realize that prices have risen over the years but I only paid 24.99 for mine in 1984 at K-Mart. Is it possible that K-Mart and Wal-Mart are really charging that much today for the Truck Air Compressor ?? WOW !!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh well, its still worth it if you find yourself in dire need of a 12 vt compressor.. :)

John