Good Sam Club, 40th Anniversary Yearbook?

Kirk

In my latest mail pouch was a post card from the Good Sam Club that asked me to call a toll free number to "verify your information." It stated that this was to insure accurate data for an up-coming 40th Anniversary Member Yearbook, and that I should call to be sure that the information was accurate. I made that call yesterday and what a mistake that was! This is just a scam by Good Sam to try to make sales. First they check your information and then they ask you to order your copy of this new book for "only $89.95!" When I declined they launched into a very wordy explanation of how valuable it would be and how it was satisfaction guaranteed and which addition should they send to me, east or west? I had to again decline, several times. Next they tried to shift me to another operator so that she could then "help you with all of your insurance problems." That was an attempt to get me to their insurance sales. I hung up the phone, but she called right back to say that we had been disconnected! I hung up again.

This was just one more rip off by our wonderful Good Sam Club. I will not be renewing our membership next time!

Micah

Re: Good Sam Club, 40th Anniversary Yearbook?

Kirk, DW got the same thing a few days ago. Seems like everything is about the money these days.
Keep the shiny side up, Jerry

OldSoldiers

Thanks for the heads-up. I have been toying with the idea of making the call. Guess I won't be. I'll still take advantage of any reduced membership offers cause I save money on the road that way, but I studiously avoid all their sales offers. Even my email handler sends all email correspondance directly to my delete box.

;)

TexasClodhopper

Good Sam is not the only one, but all of these 'membership clubs' allow you to get the price at the RV park that you should get without all of these 'clubs' involved. The parks have to pay something like $1,500 / year to be able to show the 'club' affiliation and be placed in the books for us to see.

I chunk everything that comes in the mail from Good Sam except the renewal. We paid for our 'membership' on our last trip; easily 10% discounts. That's the only reason I've found to keep a 'membership.'

beaverjim

RE: Good Sam Club, 40th Anniversary Yearbook?

i also called the toll free number and was greeted very nicely! so much so that i ordered the book and look forward to being able to see all the pics and info that the book will offer! by the way i'm not affiliated with good sam. i guess my wife and are maybe more exuberant about our hobby (motor homes) than some.

02 40ft beaver
05 dodge dakota

C Nash

Hay beaverjim, You mean you shelled out that much money to see the pictures :eek: Look at the picture of the poster above your post :laugh: :evil: :8ball:

C Nash

Aw Tex, We can't help what the old camera shows. Tried to put mine on but the adminstrator would not allow it :laugh:

C Nash

As long as you are a member of Good Sam you want lack for mail. Got a packet today trying to sell me their road side service and I have had the service two year. Always receiving packets to join and have been a member since 82. They can't touch the price for insuring the MH which I have with Progressive. Maybe if they would cut back on mailing we could get better prices. Think they are getting to big. That being said I do like their membership with the magazine and road service.

hertig

You might want to make the call. I did and they gave me the option of leaving out my address, phone number and email, which I think is wise. Sales pitch was very low key, and all it took were two 'no thank you's, 1 for the the collector's edition, and 1 for the 'cheap' version.

Grandview Trailer Sa

After receiving the THIRD request by e-mail today, I called. The computer at first wanted my ID number that was supposed to be on the lower right corner of the e-mail. Since there was no number there, I used my ID number on the card in my wallet. I entered it twice, did not work, and was transferred to a real person.

I then found my ID number in the e-mail (at the top), and it did not match my card. I told the lady the number in the e-mail, and she could not find me. She immediately wanted to set up a new number for my information. I told her that I would give her the number on my card. Guess what - that did not work either. She again wanted to get my information and issue me a new number. At that point I hung up on her.

I do not believe I was talking to Good Sam. I have called them several times and used my ID number on the card. They have never had problem finding my information before.

IF you get a e-mail, supposedly from Good Sam, and decide to make the call, proceed with caution.

C Nash

I received another final notice today. I don't even open them anymore. Think I will add Good Sam email to my spam list. Guess maybe we should forward one to Good Sam and see if they are sending them.

TexasClodhopper

Somewhere in the email that I got, it said that Good Sam had hired a third party to do this "yearbook".

I don't know why I have to be in a Good Sam yearbook. I must not be the right kind of RVer or something. I don't go RARA with a big group or rallies. Maybe I need to get to be more full time or something.

I just don't follow the crowds very well. Ya know what? When all those people that just bought something at WalMart or Sam's are standing in line to get that pretty yellow check mark on their receipt, I go right around them with my stuff! Yeah, that was me passing you by! :laugh:

hertig

I also don't allow myself to be kidnapped when leaving stores. If they want to play that silly game, they better have enough people there to handle everyone, because I'm not stopping...

DL Rupper

Hey Texas Clodhopper, you mean you don't go to them there fun rallies where they gather around to watch the old has beens get up and sing. Golly gee, does that mean you don't have Fred Flintstone with a halo displayed all over your RV. My,my I'm shocked. :laugh: :bleh: :approve: :) ;)

C Nash

Received another final notice in the mail today :angry: Sue Bray must have a lot of time to kill :dead: Everthing I get is signed by her :(

TexasClodhopper

One place we stopped in North Carolina recently had advertised a "sing-a-long" at 7:30 that evening. I'm sorry, but we had something else in mind different than what we heard from across the park!

I'm not kidding. The "group" that was playing was a guy with an electric piano and a harmonica with his wife as the lead singer. I gotta hand it to them, though, they didn't give up for anything! Even with the gathering mob (I mean crowd) singing-a-long, they didn't quit! :evil: