gooseneck on 5er

holottagame

anyone ever owned/towed a gooseneck 5er? I just purchased one(used) and was told they tow easily and are just as if not more sturdy than a 5th wheel hitch. I did all the caculations and it will fit easily in the bed (Lots of tongue and turn radius. Just curious. Thanks

C Nash

gooseneck on 5er

Think he is talking about where the hitch just sits on the stationer ball in the bed turnip. The only disavantage I could see is that it may be a little harder to hook up. have to be perfectly aligned.

turnipbwc

gooseneck on 5er

C Nash,
I didn't know what he was talking about. I never seen one that just sit on the ball. I wouldn't think that would be very safe. Not sure I would trust it.
turnip42

holottagame

gooseneck on 5er

Yes, this sits on a ball, kinda like a horse trailer, thus, the gooseneck style device as I have a horse trailer. I was told this is very sturdy, has anyone used this though? I figured it would be hard to align. An RV tech says its fine to tow with.

C Nash

gooseneck on 5er

Don't think it would be any problem with the tow. Son has an enclosed gooseneck race car hauler that is a lot heavier than rvs and he has no problem. it is harder to align for hitch-up but, not a big deal. Bonus of the gooseneck is no obstruction in bed of truck. You can get adapters to adapt the rv type hitch to the gooseneck hitch. The crew cab does have a long bed i assume? If not the rv being wider than the horse trailer might hit the cab in tight turns or backing because it sits straight down on the hitch

Gary B

gooseneck on 5er

Hi holottagame, welcome to the forum. You may have no troubles with the gooseneck hitch, I would never have one, having lots of experience with gooseneck trailers, they are just to much trouble to hitch up,it a 2 person job, require saftey chains, and can put lots of extra stress on the pin box area of some 5th wheel trailers because of the long arm/lever of the gooseneck. Good luck and happy camping. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

Grandview Trailer Sa

gooseneck on 5er

The "Gooseneck" is a 2 5/16" ball that sits in the bed of the truck. The Fifth Wheel, of course, uses a kingpin like the big trucks. There is an adapter that clamps to the kingpin and converts the hitch to a gooseneck. I sold an All American last year and the customer picked it up because he lived close to the Forest River factory. My salesman watched him bolt on his adapter, and as soon as the jacks came off the ground, he told the customer he had just voided his frame warranty. He then recorded the VIN number, just in case he had trouble. I am very glad he has NOT had trouble. With the gooseneck, you will have to add safety chains. I sell one of these adapter every now and then, but I would advise against it. Oh course, you have to do what is best for you.