GPS.... anyone ?

dragon

I am thinking of buying a GPS for my Class C RV, that would have text-to-speech and dead reckoning capability.

I am find that all the commercialized information out there is a little over bearing, and have decided to ask those who have them. I have NO previous experience with a GPS unit ,other that what I have researched.

What RV GPS units have you gents and ladies found to be more productive, and why?

From what I understand, a RV GPS must be a Trucking GPS, to allow for avoidance of low bridges and propane restrictions.

SO, I am reaching out and asking..... what do you have, what do you recommend, and what to avoid??????

akjimny

Re: GPS.... anyone ?

Karen, I bought a Magellan Roadmate 1700 for my motorhome. We call it Suzie. I like it because it has a 7 inch screen and is easier to see with there old eyes. It has several good features, but is not a "trucker" GPS in that it won't tell you about low bridges, etc. But that hasn't been a problem so far.

One down side is Suzie (or any GPS for that matter) is very literal. It will do exactly what you tell it to do. If you tell it "Shortest Distance" it will direct you down some strange back county roads, or in one case, told me to exit the Interstate, drive on the frontage road for a couple of miles, then re-enter the Interstate. :laugh: :laugh:

Another thing is Suzie's voice isn't all that clear sometimes. Despite what Boss Lady says, I'm not completely deaf, yet. Luckily, I can touch the screen and Suzie (or Boss Lady) will repeat what she said.

I have had good luck with the Magellan. Others may like Garmin, or Tom Tom. I haven't had any experience with those. Hope this helps you some and doesn't confuse you more :laugh: :laugh:

Post back and let us know what you decide. :) :)

TexasClodhopper

I use the Garmin 7200. I mounted it on my Class C right in front of where the rearview mirror used to be. It is highly visible there, but Sallyberetta seems to get antsy when I touch it while driving. :clown:

I do my routing with Google maps and road atlases and don't completely believe the first route that the GPS develops. I usually review the route around large towns to make sure the GPS is not doing funny things like going around when I want to go through. You learn with experience.

On the truck style routing, there are probably few places where you have to worry about low clearances. Those that are a problem will probably be well marked and in certain parts of the country. Most low places that you will find out about will be marked with a loud 'bang' followed by a few curse words. :clown:

H2H1

Tex I think the last part is what she is wanting to avoid. :laugh: :laugh: I have COBRA GPS, so for it has served me well. But as other has stated, it will do what it is programmed to do. I also carry a large atlas map with us when we go a far. AS we always look over the map and make our decision on the route we are planning on heading out on. The GPS is just something to help us out. As Jim stated she is loud and that is the only thing I can turn down or off, the boss is never off. :laugh: :laugh:

LEN

I only have 5 GPS that will route. 2 NUVI, 1 hand held, a DroidX that will real time the maps(this means it contacts the net and down loads the map you need at the moment) and a netbook with streets and maps on it with a GPS puck. I never trust totally any of the 5 while in the Motor home. They are a good tool but each has lead me the wrong way so you must still have a sense of where you wish to go. If you have a laptop or netbook AND THE ROOM TO PUT IT I would go with Copilot $100 and a GPS puck $30. You can also load low bridges and such in a NUVI and it warns you from POI files. The last is the 465t Garmin about $400 a good unit but small screen. I really don't know how many there are in the east but in the west we drive interstate and a lot of the county roads and have only seen a couple low bridges. We do however use campground instructions to get to them as they may have problem areas close by(again only seen this once.

LEN

Triple E

If you want a big screen and do not mind using your laptop then I highly recommend ALK COPILOT. You can down load it to your lap top or smartphone.

You will have a five mile view of what is around you, including POI's, plus you can look at each stop that you have planned.

I own a Nuvi and have used a Tom-Tom and believe me there is no comparison. You will not find a better trip planner. http://alk.com/ When you plan a trip you can enter as many stops as you need all in one setting, look at each stop so you are prepared when you get to that point of your trip or watch a demo of the entire trip if you want. You will also see the trip planned on a map from point A to point Z. As Len said, you will be warned on low bridges, tunnels closed to propane, Ferry Crossings and many more.

You might also try MicroSoft Street and Trips. It also downloads to your laptop and you can try it out for 60 days free. MicroSoft has just released their 2011 version.

Stay away from Garmin Moble. The support for this software is very poor.

What ever you do, make sure you have a unit you can download your own specific POI's, Point of Interest. Example your favorite Tire Store chain to Wine Tasting Vineyards. I have downloaded all un-marked Rail Road crossing in the US.

Just remember one thing. A GPS should never replace the brain. ;) :approve:

akjimny

To expand on my previous answer - Like Tex, I too pre-plan my route using Google Maps. Like Hollis, I also carry a Rand McNally road atlas and a copy of Woodalls Campground Directory. You can never have too many resources. All the folks here on the RVUSA Forum are a great resource too.

The GPS (Suzie) comes in real handy when going thru big cities. I can glance at the screen, listen to the voice instructions, and don't have to worry too much about catching the signs along the highway. :) :)

H2H1

Jim just make sure you program it to the M&G in Walland TN this OCT.

G

i better get me gps ,,otherwise i will not know how to get to the M&G this yr ,, i would prolly get lost ,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

H2H1

hello and welcome, well M&G is Meet and Greet.A bunch of us on here was chatting and we never met each other so we started a M&G back in 2009. The first meet was at Ken's (Grand view trailers sale) the second meet was at Misty River Camp Ground, in Walland TN. It was so good it was voted to go back this year. Everyone is welcome, just call Jimmy and get your reservation or you can do it on line. IN SHORT it just a bunch of us getting together for a weekend to have food and fun. You can PM me Ken or Tex for more information

Grandview Trailer Sa

Dragon, There is a thread under Destinations. There you can find a link to our website and more info about the Meet and Greet. If you can make it, come on down!!

rjf7g

730 - 3/7/2011 11:30 PM

i better get me gps ,,otherwise i will not know how to get to the M&G this yr ,, i would prolly get lost ,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200 I will sell you real cheaply. Now that we have an iPhone and a Droid in the family, there is no need for the Garmin!

H2H1

BECKY Rod is full of it, Misty River is just 30 minutes away from him.

G

we too have 3 droid phones in our family ,, but i bet all three will take me a diff way :laugh: :laugh:
But thanks for the offer becky ,, if i had gps , i would prolly hang it on the outside mirror ,, i hate those things ,, but yes as hollis said ,, i am pretty close to MR ,, and if i get lost ,, i am lost :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LEN

Better not sell the Nuvi too quick. If you travel anywhere the Cell can't get 3G you don't get the maps as the maps are down loaded as needed from the Net. You still have GPS just no map.

LEN

Triple E

LEN - 3/12/2011 6:28 AM Better not sell the Nuvi too quick. If you travel anywhere the Cell can't get 3G you don't get the maps as the maps are down loaded as needed from the Net. You still have GPS just no map. LEN

Len, For$5.00 you can download copilot to your cell, smartphone, andyou will not loose your map or signal.

:approve:

LEN

I am thinking on the copilot but with 3 GPS plus a laptop with GPS and the Cell the wife might just buy diamonds, if you get the drift.

LEN

krsmitty

Triple E - 3/12/2011 7:19 PM

LEN - 3/12/2011 6:28 AM Better not sell the Nuvi too quick. If you travel anywhere the Cell can't get 3G you don't get the maps as the maps are down loaded as needed from the Net. You still have GPS just no map. LEN

Len, For $5.00 you can download copilot to your cell, smartphone, and you will not loose your map or signal.   

:approve:

Copilot? Software?