GPS Systems

sonny

We are going to start some extentsive cross country RVing, and I'm looking at getting a GPS system . Any know the best one to get for features and price? The price is not really an issue, but I do like saveing $$$.Thanks

TexasClodhopper

GPS Systems

sonny, we purchased the Garmin StreetPilot 2620 GPS. The newest software is: StreetPilot 2620 Ver. 4.70

It is a touch screen unit and is easy to work with. It is not one of those "toy" units. Since Sallyberetta and I have a Class C MH with a large overhang, I bought an external mag mount antenna (looks like a small cookie) that sticks to my vehicle's hood near the radio antenna. In my truck the internal antenna works great.

I've never had "Miss Moneypenny" steer me wrong. We call her that because the British female voice reminds us of a James Bond movie.

We did have a problem with it when we tried to upgrade the software. Something happened with my USB port connection which resulted in the GPS having no operating system (it has a hard drive in it.) Garmin didn't flinch a bit and swapped me out a new one by 2nd Day Express.

Highly recommended, but I want the bigger one they're selling now. It also has an external video input and XM satellite radio. Hey, maybe you'll buy my old one! Only a year old! :eek:

PS. I got mine at http://www.gpsdiscount.com/

hertig

GPS Systems

I've got the Garmin iQue 3600. Palm Pilot and navigation system in one. Under $300 new from eBay, with car kit (power supply, speaker and holder). I haven't tried it cross country yet, but pretty good around town. It seems to be accurate to about 50 feet.

BobW

GPS Systems

You didn't say what kind of RV you have. If you have a Class A, use your laptop and sit it on your dash. Get a GPS USB reciver and the software and your in. The laptop has a bigger screen than most GPS stand alone units and they can see more detail. Bigger is better. :bleh:

Kirk

GPS Systems

We use Garmin's Quest. We like it because I do our route planning on the computer and then just download the route to the Quest. Also, it is quite small and portable and when plugged into the 12V power there is a speaker that gives excellent directions. You can set where you park as "home" and then at any time you just tap menu, select "route home" and then enter. In a few seconds you will have a good route home. It also allows you to select things like the type of vehicle you drive, the type highway you want to prefer and to avoid and many other features.

CoachPotato

GPS Systems

Having discovered that the laptop is very cumbersome as a navigator with DeLorme, we also got the Garmin 2620. It's now superceeded with another model, I understand, you might have to check Garmin. We like it but we cannot accept its directioins without due caution. Sometime it will try to send us off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the programed route.

It's an excellent and easily operated system - if you spend some time learning its features. I especially like the feature of showing elevation as we travel.

Dale

DL Rupper

GPS Systems

Anybody else have info on any other brands, i.e. Magellin, TomTom, etc. I too am in the market for a GPS system. Driving with one hand, holding the map in the other while yelling at my wife to get her head out of IT, just isn't working any more. Wonderful wife, but, she can't navigate worth a ****. Need help in my old age. Thankfully my Dodge CTD is a very stable well behaved pickup and practically finds it own way to the RV park.

TexasClodhopper

GPS Systems

Are you looking for something that is just cheep? Or do you want a good one?

You can contact me at **** for a good one; Garmin 2620.

ARCHER

GPS Systems

Sonny, welcome to the forum. I have a GPS III handheld, that I used on my bigger boat on Lake Erie. It is older but gives me the majority of info that I would need, aside from the ROAD SIGNS, etc.
The only suggestion I would give you, is to no matter what kind you buy, when your driving, don't forget to watch the road. It is real easy to start getting a fixation on the GPS screen and forget what is in front of you, especially in traffic. Please be careful..... ;)

TexasClodhopper

GPS Systems

The Garmin 7200 is a REALLY good unit, too. The internal hard drive has the map to everywhere on it. It has XM sat radio (will xmit to your FM radio), a music player (mp3 with SD memory card), weather/traffic warnings (option), a BIG screen, and a video input (with automatic switch to backup camera; optional), but if you don't check with http://www.gpsdiscount.com you will waste over $100. They sent mine via FedEx upgrade for nothing extra. It was scheduled for delivery in 3 days, but it got here the next day. And ... I got a free T-shirt! :laugh: (My old one is too stained, because for some reason :eek: food that drops from my fork tends to stop at my midsection!)

LEN

Re: GPS Systems

We like our Garmins also, one in the MH and one in the toad. But having a screen big enough to drive down like the co-pilot and the height alerts for only $100.
Well sound interesting plus two systems running might just eliminate a bad road here or there.

LEN

Triple E

I have been in contact with two long haul drivers that did the test on the beta version. They both were impressed. There only complaint was the software was short on truck stops and that is being taken care of. Should have been done with this new release but not sure. They are really impressed on how well the low bridges and no propane area's are detoured. The Truck version should be out in a couple of weeks. Not only will all the truck stops be included but the what meals are served at these stop. Will have to wait and see but at least they are trying.

akjimny

I bought a Magellan 1700 Roadmate while in Alaska this summer. $199.00 at Costco. It has a 7 inch touch screen and good volume on the voice instructions and lane change notices. It really helped on the way back to Florida. And believe me, when "Suzie" (our nickname for it) tells you to turn right, even though it's pitch black at night, turn right to find the campground. We drove past the entrance, had to go about five miles to turn around, and finally found the campground, right where she told us it was.

The only downside is $80.00 to update the maps and $50.00 for another mount and power cord for the toad. I permanently mounted the bracket in the motor home since there wasn't any good place to stick the suction cup mount, so had to get another for the toad.

rkwtraveler

I use Verizon wireless as a cell phone provider and use google maps on my smartphone for gps and driving directions constantly updated and usually acurate.