gray tank fix?

dragon

Hi

Just got back my Rv from getting a radiator crack brazed.... Got off real cheap, they removed it from RV and put is back... Just like new.

Anyhow that is not what I am worried about. There is a large crack around half of the end drain. I am taking it in this friday to get this fixed. What I am worried about is the gentlemen are going to "bondo?" the crack around the lever. Has anyone had or heard of this being done and does it hold up?

H2H1

Re: gray tank fix?

can you just cut it out and have a new valve installed? I know that would be the best, but don't know about the bond do thing, so maybe other can give you a better point of view on it. Good luck

akjimny

Karen, your gray tank is (probably) made of polyethylene plastic and there are adhesives made especially for plastic that will work, if applied correctly. If he is a competent repairman and knows this stuff, it should work.

However - Bondo will NOT work. Bondo is a 2 part body filler putty, used to fill in rusted car bodies. If he says "Bondo" double check what he is trying to use.

Good luck - post back and let us know how it goes. :) :) :)

C Nash

I'm with Jim on this. If its bondo as I know it will not be a good fix on plastic. It may be some kind of special bondo made for plastic he will be using. I just have never seen any

dragon

Thank you for the information. I did not know that there was adhesives made especially for plastic. This does make me feel alittle better about it.

dfedora

RE: gray tank fix?

There is a special welding technique that can be used for repairing polyethlene or even nylon tanks. It consist of a poly or nylon welding rod with a special heating gun with compressed air for repairing those materials.

There are adhesives out there but I wouldn't use it unless it is a hair- line crack its hard to get adhesives into the crack area to get a good adhesion. try to find someone to welded it.

good luck