Grey and Black water tank maintenance

Geometricenigma

SnowbirdInFlight,

Liquid water softener and detergent is fine. Wal-Mart only seems to carry liquid water softener and I've used it. The cheapest generic is fine too. I prefer powder because I'm cheap and hate paying shipping charges (included in the retail price) on water. The water I have hydrates powdered water softener and detergent just fine. I just think liquid laundry chemicals are a rip-off - you pay more for less, and then dump it in water anyway. Just give me the powder and I'll supply the water at this end.

Remember, The Geo Method will make the gunk let go, but you still have to use PLENTY of water to flush the gunk out of the tanks. The drain hole is relatively small. The older the RV the more flushing is required initially. I use a Flush King to accomplish this efficiently.

SnowbirdInFlight

Thanks for the added info! quote:I just think liquid laundry chemicals are a rip-off - you pay more for less, and then dump it in water anyway. This is so true and I will try to locate the powdered water softner and get powdered detergent. This sounds like it would be a lot better for your plumbing than the 'blue stuff' I usually use. I'll be sure to let you AND everyone else on here too, how it works.

mike4947

A friend just gave me the link to this thread and asked me if this was the same egocentric wacko (his name not mine) who thinks he invented and owns the only way to clean a RV tank. I'll have to tell him it is. LOL

Geometricenigma

"A friend just gave me the link to this thread and asked me if this was the same egocentric wacko (his name not mine) who thinks he invented and owns the only way to clean a RV tank. I'll have to tell him it is. LOL"

Hey Mike4947,

You're one of the moderators from RV Net.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/memberprofile/mid/19971

I wonder who your "Friend" is? You guys remind me of the Soup Nazi from the Seinfeld show. Why are you coming over here and registering just to be able to post an attack on me? I assume that's what you're doing since you did it on your very first post here. How Juvenile. Shame on you. Talk about people with control issues..

Get a life.

SnowbirdInFlight

I, for one, have tried this method while going to Canada and back (well, we're actually in Iowa now) to Southern Illinois. So far this method has worked great for me. For the first time since we bought our travel trailer, in 2000, my super-nose cannot pick up any tell-tell odors! And we've tried everything including that blue stuff that says on the side of the bottle KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER. So if people want to poo-poo (no pun intended) the idea that this method works, then I say it's only because they have not tried it for themselves.

Kirk

SnowbirdInFlight
You just don't get over it do you? As I told you before, the so called blast was the size because it makes things so slow for phone connections users, and I also appologized for the hard feelngs. Seems to me that you are the new queen of rude! I even sent you a private message which you responded to as though there was no problem?

And like it or not, Geometricenigma, is just an amature chemist with no real research to back his theory. No reason not to try it if you really think it will work, as long as you realize that it is just one more amature chemist's theory. Most who fulltime sooner or later come to where they mostly just use plenty of water. But use whatever makes you fell good. It is your tank.

SnowbirdInFlight

quote:SnowbirdInFlight
You just don't get over it do you? As I told you before, the so called blast was the size because it makes things so slow for phone connections users,

Kirk
You just don't get over it do you? You can't get a fast connection and my dinky little emoticon loads too slow for you, well boo, hoo, hoo! Get over it. I thought you had your wonderful satellite that got you oh so fast speed. BTW, I didn't start this; you did with your total BLAST to begin with!!!

quote: and I also appologized for the hard feelngs.

Oh yeah, for about 5 minutes and that was only because I went to your website and told everyone through your guest book how RUDE a person you were and that I would never look at your site again, which btw I have not!!!

quote:Seems to me that you are the new queen of rude!

EXCUSE ME!!! Let's review! Who blasted who, the very first time I wrote on this board? Duh, yes that was you mister man! You are not only the KING OF RUDE but I believe you also hold titles in the obnoxious and unfriendly contests as well!

quote:And like it or not, Geometricenigma, is just an amature chemist with no real research to back his theory. No reason not to try it if you really think it will work, as long as you realize that it is just one more amature chemist's theory. Most who fulltime sooner or later come to where they mostly just use plenty of water. But use whatever makes you fell good. It is your tank.

You know what Kirk? I believe you are just jealous, yep just jealous because this guy actually took the time to try something out and found out it works! You've never tried it have you? You're right, it is MY tank, tyvm, and I will put what I want in it!

I bet you could tell women just how it felt to actually give birth you know so much, don't you? HA! I know your type, you know it all (think) and think all your words are gold. Well, they aren't! You sure your name isn't really Cliff? (If you don't get that joke, I'll understand because it only makes my point better.)

Finally Kirk, please don't bother to write me again, privately or otherwise. Your type on these message boards just sour it for the rest of us who believe in being cheerful and having fun. You are too much of a grouch!

SnowbirdInFlight

I'm having a Columbo moment Cliff, I mean Kirk... By the way, what kind of man are you to talk to a woman the way you do? Shows your upbringing, doesn't it???

turnipbwc

Wow.....I thought all RV people were all nice people. Guess I was wrong. Hey Poppa.....See what you did ? LOL

SnowbirdInFlight

Me too! I came on to give a tip (look under the RV Tips forum) and had no more than posted my tip when I got blind-sided by a very grouchy man called Kirk (Although he's like the guy Cliff on Cheers and thinks he knows it all!), and then he comes over here and blasts me again. I was not 'talking' to him in this forum at all and he had to butt in where it's none of his business. I guess he thinks someone died :evil: and left him in charge of being mean to people. :)

Hostess

Hi, this is hostess from BC, Canada,
I noticed in another post, you were saying that Canadians were unfriendly :blush:
I have one question for you Chemists: what would the bleach do to our sceptic field, when you dump in our tanks?

SnowbirdInFlight

Well hostess, maybe you are friendly, I don't know, lol. However, I'm basing my opinion on 85% of the people we encountered in the area we visited. We went in through International Falls and the very first impression was made by the security guard at customs. Such a sour face! Then in all the stores and restuarants, same thing, sour faces, no smiles. In the campgound we stayed at (terribly overpriced) we waved and smiled at the campers sitting outside their rigs and got greeted with NO waving back and NO smiles, more sour faces. Maybe we went to the wrong area? I don't know. But, I do know between the prices and the people we only stayed 7 days and have decided to not go back. No offense to you Hostess, but once burnt, twice shy .....

Geometricenigma

Hostess,

Chlorine bleach in weak solution breaks down rapidly. In The Geo Method, I suggest putting chlorine bleach in tanks that are partially filled and then using the tanks normally until it's time to dump. That gives the bleach time to both sanitize the tanks and break down.

Having said that, I also believe that commercial septic tanks intended for public use to make a profit for the owner are business assets that incur associated business expenses like all other business assets. Campground owners seem to want the income generating benefits of sewer hook-ups to attract customers, but howl at the thought of having any associated expenses. I understand the motives behind this, but it's like a restauranteur complaining that his customers dirty his dishes and cleaning those dishes eat into his profit. This may be true, but if he doesn't want to contend with dirty dishes then he should get out of the restaurant business. Likewise, if you own a public septic system be prepared to have to pump it out occasionally because as a commercial endeavor it will see far more use than a home system.

My last point is a question. So, formaldehyde in your septic tank is Ok, but chlorine bleach isn't? I still haven't figured that one out..

janicenlarry

Poppa, just returned from a 8000 mi, 6 wk tour of the west and want you to know that your tank cleaning method worked wonders. Sensors on a 2000 rig now working after years of trying to reclaim them.
Thanks

DL Rupper

Could not resist jumping in on this one :bleh: . Lots of fun :shy: . If and when we get out again, plan to try the Geo Method. Been spending lots of $$$ on all the junk they sell for tanks. Expect great results.

SnowbirdInFlight

Okay, I've been using the geo method and it's worked great. However, one person on here (we all know who) says it's a dangerous thing to use, lol. So, I went to Wal-Mart and read the ingredients of the stuff you are suppose to use in your tanks for odor. Now after reading this, tell me how water softener, detergent, and bleach are more harmful to people or tanks! You can't!

Campa Chem by Thetford

Methyl Alcohol

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/m2015.htm

Formaldehyde

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/formalde.html

Warning on bottle: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.
____

CampaChem by Thetford – Natural

Bromo nitropropane diol

http://www.chemexper.com/chemicals/supplier/cas/52-51-7.html

Poppa

:laugh: All I was trying to do was to help a few folks out. Dar what a nightmare I have created. Naaaah :cool: All joking aside it does work and thats my story and I am sticking to it.

C Nash

Boy, have we ever got hung up on this :( . If it works don't worry what someone else thinks. The instructions have been posted and some have warned against it. Those that want to use it"use it". I have no reason to even try it because in 40 years of camping I have only used water and lots of it most of the time and never had a problem with smell and never a problem or complaint when sold. That being said we used campground bath house when possible.

Geometricenigma

****ation, that's mighty considerate of you, C Nash. You know, giving us permission to continue the discussion although you disapprove. Thank you so very much. Without guys like you the rest of us would certainly be lost in all this RVing stuff - Kinda like Moses leading the Israelites through the desert for the past 40 years. Whaddaya know, and just when I thought the world was full of jerks..

Thanks again..