Ham radio rigs

TWX

I did a search and didn't see anything, so I figured I'd ask...

If I end up buying the RV that I'm looking at, I'd like to add a HAM Radio, and actually have a decent mobile rig. I've heard of a few radios that, in addition to the remote faceplate, also can retain the stock faceplate, effectively allowing the operator to use the radio in a couple of different locations in the vehicle. I'd want to use a rig like this so I can leave the radio itself in back near the table/couch/back door, but keep a faceplate and handmic up at the driver's seat. I only have a Technician/No Code license, so something in 2m, maybe with 70cm on top if it would cut it for my needs...

Anyone have a radio or configuration that they like?

TexasClodhopper

Re: Ham radio rigs

Tannon, I've been out of ham radio for over 5 years, so I don't know of a radio that will do what you want to do.

I have a couple of Yeasu radios that I had the remote wiring for. That worked pretty good in my Suburban some years back. I had the radio mounted in the center console and the face and mike on the dash.

hamdave

RE: Ham radio rigs

Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Tentec etc make new radios all the time. I really don't know for sure you can do what you want as Tex indicated. I use a dualband rig up front(removable faceplate), the rado is down behind the captain's chair. I have another 706MIIG(removable faceplate) down lower just front of the doghouse, I also carry a handheld. You may have to use two rigs, but since you didn't indicate 'how' your want to use them, it is a little hard to make suggestions.

cheers

TWX

I don't really know how I want to use them, that's the problem. Other than a short time when I had a Yaesu FT-817 because a friend needed to sell it for the money, my only radio has been a 5W Alinco handheld. I figure that if I don't somehow get back into it I'll probably even let my license lapse, and I'd rather not do that.

I envision having a radio on simplex while driving. Since the driver's seat isn't really convenient for any usage other than when the driver is operating the vehicle, I'd figured if a remote head could allow for a secondary control somewhere else on the vehicle that this would be handy if I want to use the thing elsewhere, but I'll admit that I haven't 100% figured out what I want to do, and that until I do it won't matter much...

hamdave

I use the 'dual' bander while traveling. it's capable of receiving on both bands and its simple to switch for transmitting. I usually program it ahead of time for the repeaters that I'll be passing close to. I also sometimes just let it set on 146.52 simplex. I leave the 706 usually on 'midcars','southcars' or 14.3(20m). I can use either radio while traveling. The 706 is connected to a dualband vhf/uhf antenna (1/4 wave) and the HF is connected to a 'screwdriver' mounted on the back bumper. I am still thinking if I want to put a CB in the rig, as that is not a high priority for me. I like talking to folks when traveling, but must admit I do most of that when DW is driving.

cheers