Haulin bicycles and 5th wheels

thumbs

How are you guys haulin your bikes with your travel trailers or 5th wheels. Is there somethin that I can mount to either my bumper on the back of the 5th wheel like a 2inch reciever? I was thinkin if that was available I could then use the 2inch receiver on the truck to haul the bikes while the 5th wheel is parked. If they are available is there a web site I can take a look at?

Thanks

Gary

Souderton, Pa

BarneyS

Thumbs, There is available, I'm not sure of the make but have seen it at my local trailer place, a frame mounted receiver that you can mount on the rear of your TT or 5th wheel. I would not use the bumper mount as the weight and vibration would probably tear it apart. All it was was a regular 2 inch receiver tube welded to a couple of cross members that you could then weld or bolt to a frame.
Remember though that mounting anything on the rear of your trailer is taking weight away from the tounge and also there is a whole lot of bouncing going on back there as you drive.
Barney

1997 Sunnybrook 26CKS TT
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, short bed, 5.9gas, auto. 3:54
1996 Harley Davidson FLHRI

buckbs

Thumbs,

Why not consider putting the bikes in the bed of your truck. On their side, there should be room for you to make turns with the fifth wheel hitch above the bicycles. I'm planning on doing this with my new rig the next time that I take our two bicycles.

thumbs

bsmith0337

All I want to do is to mount a rack to hold two bicycles. I thought maybe you were thinkin motorcycles. Hey question for ya. I have a '92 Dodge W350 Diesel 5sp with 354 rears. How does your truck pull your trailer? I have a bit taller BG Goodrich All Terrain tires on er so the ratio is a bit taller. How do you think it will pull a 10500lb fifth wheel?

buckbs

Not a bad idea and I may try it but. I am a pain in the butt when it comes to my stuff. I find it hard to lay em down and let em bang against the truck and get scratched. Its a curse. But it's me. I was even trying to get one of those carriers that you mount the bikes on channels so that they are only supported but a small brace on the frame.

Thanks for the info and help guys

Gary

Souderton, Pa

BarneyS

Thumbs, I was thinking of bicycles too. A couple of bicycles on the back bumper can shake it pretty good. With the receiver tube I mentioned, you could purchase a bike rack made to insert into it and also use it on your truck. I have one of these bike racks and it works great. I have not used it on my trailer though as I do not have the receiver on there.

Sorry, I can't help you much on your truck. Mine pulls ok but could use more power, especially during the long uphills. I am 1400lbs under my GCWR according to the CAT scale so am not overloaded. My next truck will probably be a diesel. My gut reaction is that it will be a marginal pull for you with that weight - especially with the taller tires. I assume that your truck is a 3/4 ton since it has the diesel.
Barney

1997 Sunnybrook 26CKS TT
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, short bed, 5.9gas, auto. 3:54
1996 Harley Davidson FLHRI

thumbs

bsmith0337

Yeah, I read gas and thought diesel,sorry. She has a heck of a lot of torque. She's pull like the devil but she won't snap your neck at a stop light. I guess it runs like a truck. She's a one ton. I think the 5sp max is around 14k maybe 15. The auto that year was around 18k I think.

Gary

Souderton, Pa