HAVE A QUESTION DEALERS DON'T WANT TO ANSWER...

LARRYFORD

I am in the market for a CLASS B FORD motorhome. All and I mean ALL that I have looked at have the FORD V-10 gas motor. None have the 6.0 POWERSTROKE DIESEL. Why? Why would anyone want 4-6 mpg from a gas engine, not to mention the complete lack of power. When you can get 14+ from the diesel.'s I am an active drag racer that has many racing friends and they pull their race car with their F-350's. Some have the V-10 and some have the 6.0 diesel. I have driven both pulling the race car and the V-10 is completely gutless compared to the diesel.
Any input on this would be of great help...

hertig

Maybe they are saving the PSD for the truck market? Or maybe the PSD won't fit into a van chassis well?

In any case, if you can find a Ford cargo van with the PSD, you might be able to get Sportsmobile to convert it to a Class B motorhome. Or perhaps some other maker does a diesel van.

Grandview Trailer Sa

The usual excuse for the gas vs. diesel is the cost of the diesel. I personnally would pay, but the industry tends to lean toward "price points". In a lot of brands, the diesel is offered as an option.

Will Daniels

I remember a couple years ago Shasta which is made by Coachmen had a small class C which you could get with a PSD option for about an extra $5000 or so. Dont know if it is still available.

C Nash

Hi Larry,
The V10 with the proper axle ratios should do a fair job and get better milage than that. I get 8 to 10 in a MH towing a tracker. Comparing the V10 and the PS diesel is like comparing apples to grapes. I think I remember seeing a PSD in a B class at a rv show. As Grandview said cost is the reason most will not stock them. A diesel in them will put the price in the entry level A class range. Any diesel will out perform the gasser IMO. What kind of dragster do you have :approve: :question:

s.harrington

Ford doesn't like to put diesels in van bodies due to overheating problems they have had with them in the past. There isn't enough airflow around the engine to allow proper cooling so they have to add large oil coolers and tranny coolers and by the time they do that no air gets to the radiator. At least that's what a ford engineer told me.

rvtech1

The Ford Pleasure-Way Class B Motorhome V10 gets (14)mpg..I promise that. and it has the ability to tow 5000 lbs. The V8 gets (14-16) but only tows 2500lbs, The Pleasure-Way Plateau Diesel sprinter averages (22-26)mpg

DL Rupper

Hey, if Ford 6.0 diesels are as bad as everyone seems to think :angry: (Ref: Ford 6.0 Diesel Problems, General Forum), why would anyone want the Ford diesel in a Class B. :question: le

C Nash

So you can tow them in with that rattler err I mean Cummins DL :eek: :laugh: :laugh: ;)

DL Rupper

I knew there must be a good reason. I was just slow figuring it out. Thanks Chelse :) :laugh: :cool: :clown: .

DL Rupper

Hey Folks, I hate to beat a dead horse :( , but reference Ford 6.0 Diesel-Chugging, General Forum. Ford 6.0 diesel in a Sportsmoble Van having problems at 18,000 miles. I guess their waiting for me to come rattling :bleh: by in my noisy Dodge diesel, to tow them in. Right Chelse :question: :clown: .

C Nash

DL, Just figured out why all them fords are breaking down. They are not broke :eek: They just want to ride in one of them Dodge diesels :laugh: :laugh: :clown:

DL Rupper

Chelse, can you blame them :question: :question: :question: :clown:

s.harrington

Fords answer is that putting the diesel in in the van body reduced airflow around the engine thus decreasing the cooling of the engine and making them wear out to fast.

DL Rupper

Heading South soon, just need to get in one more parting shot. Dodge diesels are best. Happy Camping.