Have you ever seen the lightning bugs in the Smokies

utmtman

Re: Have you ever seen the lightning bugs in the Smokies

I have seen fireflys in my travels a time or two

JBTcajun

RE: Have you ever seen the lightning bugs in the Smokies

Firefly's were quite common when I was young.
They have been making a comeback in this area over the last few years.

JayGee

These are not just your average fireflys. You should have looked at the links a little more closely.

These fireflys, thousands of them at least, all blink at the same instant and do it continuously for several hours. It is an amazing thing to see. There are a great number of people come from all over the US and even the world to see them. They only do this for a few weeks in June. Shuttle buses are available from downtown Gatlinburg leaving every fifteen minutes during the "show time" because parking is at a premium at the Elkmont area of the Great Smoky Mountains.

G

I my have self have seen them and it's a must see ,, these things blink in a motion kinda thing ,, but must warn u ,, GET THERE EARLY cause it does get crowded ,,, many tourist at that time of year to watch the lighting bugs (that's what we call them down here) ,, but again well worth it ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

Buckeye Chuck

When I was a kid in northern Ohio we also called them Lightning Bugs. I'm not sure if they are the same as the ones in the Smokies but they were fun. We used to catch them and but them in a mason jar and watch them fly around blinking. We still have them here in west Michigan but not as many as I remember. Ahhhh memories.

-BC-

H2H1

Hey BC and Rod we have them in Middle GA. we aren't that for from the Blue Ridge Mnts. So they must migrate further south from the BRM. Like you said BC we caught them put in a jar and watch those little bugger go at. I have seem people put them in there mouth and watch them light up , boy those were the days.

Buckeye Chuck

Hi guys,

With everything we did back then that are either poison or forbidden today I wonder how in hell we lived!....LOL

-BC-

G

Agreed ,, now everything is bad for us :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve: :approve:

THISTOYISHERS

Sorry not replying earlier but had to finish some work for the USA
My wife and I love to go each year and see them light up everywhere
take care and talk later

H2H1

isn't it funny that what is BAD today we did it, ate it, or played with it. and we are still alive

TexasClodhopper

Well, Hollis, don't you understand that that is what happened to Rod? Too many lard sandwiches! :clown:

And then there's BRODAVID, lots of those Lord sandwiches! :clown:

Aw, comeon. Ya'll know I'm kiddin' ya! ;) :laugh:

G

Tex ,, u'r right on the lard part ,, my grandmother and aunt ,, never cooked a meal without it ,, but me i'm 6ft and weigh 1,000 lbs :clown:
Sorry i only way 140lbs can not gain or loose weight ,, just stay the same ,, and i eat more than my cows do ,,, heck if they would share ,, i would be out there eating with them ,,, JK ;) :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clown: :clown: :evil:

krautdog

When I was in Germany, they had these little bugs they called glowworms, they looked like small grubs but, they glowed the same color as the lightning bugs we have in Ohio. They were strange little creatures and I've never seen them here in the US.

Cheers!

H2H1

Rod you SO RIGHT. I use to what my granny cook and with out Crisco nothing every goe cooked. but boy she could make the best biscuits, dang I miss my granny