Health hazards in RVs

Poppa

Re: Health hazards in RVs

Formaldehyde is the key word here. it is used in most composite materials in minute quanities. Any time you walk into a new trailer, rv or even a new house at times you will smell and have your eyes burning some. This stuff although, I wish they wouldn't use period, disapates over time. All you have to do is open the rv up and leave the vents open for a few days and it will all but disappear. Close up a new one in hot weather and the fumes will start coming out. Vent it a few days in hot weather and they will leave and not return. NO I AM NOT DEFENDING THE USE OF THE STUFF just letting floks know how to combat the issue until they quit using the stuff. :dead:

SnowbirdInFlight

TexasClodhopper - 6/6/2007 8:58 AM KEYWORD: "ABC" {not believeable at any level)

That statement makes no sense whatsoever. Formaldehyde is in lots of things. ABC didn't make this fact up. Shoot, look at the shampoo bottle you have in your bathroom. Guess what is in lots of shampoos? Right! Formaldehyde. I always watch for that when I buy mine.

Of course new trailers give off toxic fumes. Our trailer did when we bought it new in 2000. We were told several different ways to 'get rid' of the nausious gas fumes. One was to boil raw potatoes. One was to burn candles. Of course open all windows and vents and air it out. We tried them all PLUS I put open bowls of baking soda in every room. Finally after about a week, I could tolerate going in it without my eyes and throat burning. We haven't had the smells come back though thank GOD. I guess I must have put the fear in them with all my voodoo, ha ha!

thtravel.gif

DL Rupper

RE: Health hazards in RVs

One of the main reasons I bought a HitchHiker 5'er was because NUWA products don't suffer from the health hazard problem. No smell.

lopaka

despite the hazards, the eye burning fumes really bother my wife when we look at new RVs at dealers. My question is this:
I have ordered a new 5th wheel from a wholesaler with pickup at manufacturer in Indiana. I have to drive it to Central Florida home). We have a 20 month old little boy. If the fumes from a new RV bother the wife, is a trip from Indiana to Florida a bad idea? Should I leave the wife and baby at home and just drive it home by myself or with a friend and stay in Motels along the way?

TexasClodhopper

I wonder how many people have lived in brand new mobile homes or driven their new RVs on vacation with the smell of new glue? Maybe a million? It will pass after a while, anyway.

If it hurts, don't do it!

If you don't know if it hurts, don't do it! (In the case of the 20 month old.)

If you don't like the new smells, buy an old one.

Just because the 'hysterical news media' says something, doesn't mean everyone has to jump up and down and wave their hands in the air! :dead:

DL Rupper

The problem now is that the Katrina victims are screaming health problems (formaldehyde) with the Trailers that FEMA bought and gave to them free. So now FEMA is buying them new ones with our TAXES.

lopaka

Thank you Texas Clodhopper for the Fortune cookie answer, (If it hurts - don't)
You see, I wondered how many people actually lived or vacationed in a brand new RV and what their experiences were like. I am not waiving my hands in the air because of the ABC story, I am asking a question in a forum where a similar issue has been raised.
But you don't have to give of your experience, continue with the country bumkin act, you're good at it.

TexasClodhopper

Since, lopaka, you know so much about me personally, what experience would you have me relate that I didn't just relate?

I've lived in mobile homes, travel trailers, and RVs. I've known many people that have and not suffered any lasting effects.

I just thought you needed some good advise since on the one hand your wife suffers from the effects and "Should I leave the wife and baby at home..." was your question. OF COURSE!

No, you did not ask, "I wondered how many people actually lived or vacationed in a brand new RV and what their experiences were like." until you replied to my "Fortune cookie answer".

Ya'll come on down to Texas, and we'll set a spell out chere in da country. Ya hear? :laugh:

SnowbirdInFlight

lopaka - 6/10/2007 4:54 AM despite the hazards, the eye burning fumes really bother my wife when we look at new RVs at dealers. My question is this: I have ordered a new 5th wheel from a wholesaler with pickup at manufacturer in Indiana. I have to drive it to Central Florida home). We have a 20 month old little boy. If the fumes from a new RV bother the wife, is a trip from Indiana to Florida a bad idea? Should I leave the wife and baby at home and just drive it home by myself or with a friend and stay in Motels along the way?

Lopaka, this IS a real problem no matter what some people say. As I said in my previous post, if you do a real good airing out of the trailer and use lots of baking soda to obsorb the bad odors (or charcoal) then the trailer should be safe. I know I have super sensitive sinus and after a week of burning candles, using baking soda, and airing it out; our brand new trailer lost its burning sensation. The first year we had it we just used it in the summer and closed it up over the winter. The next summer we opened it back up and there was no smell. Maybe only extreme heat brings them out. All I know is that ours has been fine every since that first week. Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to the board!

thwelcomewagon.gif

DL Rupper

lopaka, look around for a good quality RV that isn't made with the offending glue. The NUWA 5'ers don't have any offending odors and I have been in many brands of RV's that don't use formaldehyde in the construction. At least you can't smell or feel it in the nose and eyes.

Steve H

So what about chemicals like Thetford'a Aqua-Kem which contains formaldehyde? Is this also a major source of contaminate and high risk treatment?

ARCHER

Sounds to me like someone is just trying to gather info to do another law suit against the RVing industry. Guess there will be another K in cost put on to pay for the lawsuit......

DL Rupper

Well, there are lots of other brands that don't use formaldehyde to stop the odor. Actually I use calgon, laundry detergent and bleach in my gray and black tanks. No problem. I just use the bleach occasionally for 30 minutes prior to dumping to kill the little bad germs. :laugh: :approve: :dead:

Poppa

Let a little bird tell you something in your ear about the Katrina thing. I lived amongst them and you will see big law suits from this. By some that weren't working before the storm and are having their fema trailers taken away after the max of 18 month free usage.

I am not saying that is the case with all of them but probably 70 percent would be a good number