Health insurance

e&jsparky

We are going to go full time in a year or two. Our concern is the cost of health insurance. Where do most full-timers purchase their health insurance? We currently are insured with an HMO which will not be available to us when we retire.

utmtman

Re: Health insurance

You can continue with your HMO, I would recommend that. Since a lot of people are retirees they have things like the insurance they retired with, medicare, va, and so on. I dont know of a lot who buy a seperate insurance since they can be pricey. But you can try contacting most of them and get an idea or price. My wifes uses mailhandler I use medicare. Call blue cross blue shield, mailhandlers, and so on to see what you can find.
Many insurance companies offer health insurance plans to individuals. However, if you're over 50 years old, there can be problems:

* It might be harder to find a company that will sell you a health insurance policy, especially if you have a serious medical problem.
* You might have to get a medical exam to prove you are insurable, meaning you don't have a serious medical problem.
* Individual insurance usually costs more than group insurance.
* You might get fewer benefits than with group insurance.

Compare Plans

It's important to shop around and compare health insurance policies and plans. A first step could be to decide how much you can afford to pay. Then, you can look for health insurance that will give you the best health coverage for you and your family at that price.

The answers to the following questions can help you compare both the cost and the benefits of the plans you are considering:

1. How much of my doctor and hospital bills will this health insurance plan pay for?
2. How much will I have to pay each month (premium) for this plan?
3. How much will I have to pay (deductible) before the plan begins to pay?
4. How much will I have to pay for office visits to the doctor?
5. Does this plan pay for preventive health care? This includes routine medical checkups and shots, such as a flu shot, to prevent disease.
6. Does this plan have rules for people who already have serious, chronic medical problems? Will these rules keep me from getting the care I need? If so, for how long?
7. What services are covered by this health insurance? Will it pay for care at a hospital emergency room or urgent care center? Does it cover routine surgery, hospital stays, doctor visits, nursing home stays, home health care, and medical equipment and supplies?
8. Does this plan cover visits to the eye doctor and the dentist?
9. Does this plan cover prescription drugs?
10. Does this plan pay for catastrophic medical costs, costs that are so high it would take most of my money to pay for them? Is there a limit to how much I must pay each year?
11. Is there a yearly or lifetime limit to how much the plan will pay for medical costs?

DL Rupper

We now use a combination of Federal Employees Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Medicare. Before turning 65 last year (Medicare) we only had the Blue Cross/Blue Shield fee for service plan. It worked better than a HMO because if you needed medical care while traveling away from your Health Insurance home base area, it would accommodate/pay a predetermined amount for any doctor/hospital and payed almost the entire bill for BC/BS plan preferred doctors/hospitals. I don't believe HMO's pay very well if you are out of the local HMO area for a prolonged period of time. However, fee for service plans are generally more expensive than HMO's

C Nash

We also have State employees Blue Cross Blue Shield and Medicare. Have had no problems using on the road and wally world refills all my medecine w/o any problem and wally worlds are everywhere

Kirk

e&jsparky,

You have come on the #1 problem for early retirees. Most of us have some kind of health coverage that comes as a part of our retirement package but if you do not, it will probably be very expensive. Expect to pay several hundred dollars per month per person. If it is at all possible, stay a part of the plan that your employer provides.

H2H1

I also have mail handler insurance and since I been retired since 05 I have not had any problems with claims. And as Nash stated Wal Mart is everywhere for your refills. I also can get my meds refilled at Rite Aid if needed. BTW anyone notice Kirk new picture :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: GOOD PIC Kirk

Kirk

We use mail order prescription service for all of our continuing medications and either Wal-Mart or CVS for the one time things. A great deal of that part will usually depend upon your health care plan and what it requires. Ours has a contract with Caremark for mail order prescription services.

And Hollis, thanks for the compliment.

*scooter*

Don't have anything to add to the Health Insurance issue, the wife had hers through her employer and mine through my employer so double coverage. I'm sure it will become an issue later.. The wife works for a health provider and she'll have probably 35 to 40 years when she calls it quits.
But I had to mention the picture for Kirk. I've seen it for a few days and it kinda thru me a curve. I like it a lot. Good picture. Don't have anything to add to the Health Insurance issue, the wife had hers through her employer and mine through my employer so double coverage. I'm sure it will become an issue later.. The wife works for a health provider and she'll have probably 35 to 40 years when she calls it quits.
But I had to mention the picture for Kirk. I've seen it for a few days and it kinda thru me a curve. I like it a lot. Good picture. :laugh: :) :)