Hello!! Newbie here-Introduction

keithb

Hello All
Changes in my life lead me to the possibility to buy a RV and see the nooks and crannies of our beautiful country in more detail. I hope to make this journey last full time for 1-3 years. A friend recommended this site and so far I haven't been disappointed with the content and great information. Just what I was looking for to be honest. I apologize for the rehash of topics but I need some guidance and advice.

The facts- It will be me and my dog Murray (lab/spaniel mix-25 lbs) living and traveling full time.
I could get talked into staying in some beautiful places for a month or two to hang out and explore.
Based in SoCal until the house sells.
**** Buy the RV after the house sells****
I would like to be out of SoCal by June 2010

RV- I am a Class A guy for sure. I will have a scooter or a tow vehicle. Maybe both if possible. Price range- $30K-$70K. Length- 34'-40' so I won't be cramped. Needs to sleep 4-6 when family joins me. Floorplan- dinette on right side of coach, frig w/ice maker, kitchen/fold out sofa bed on left. Queen bed going going north/south in the coach is preferred. 1 or 2 slides. Gas/diesal- I drove a '99 American Eagle pusher and loved the floorplan and how it drove. How does American Eagle standup to Allegro and Newmar? What is the opinion of this group of gas vs. diesal? Maintenance etc.

Any and all comments are welcome. Hopefully, I will get to meet some of you on the wide open road.
Keithb

:laugh:

G

RE: Hello!! Newbie here-Introduction

well first off welcome
Not really sure about the American Eagle ,, i have worked on a few ,, but there was somthing missing in the way they did stuff ,, not really sure ,, as for the Allegro ,, i had a 40ft ,, Allegro Bus , and loved it ,, as far as gas or diesel ,, well that is up to u ,, more maint in a diesel rig for sure ,, and as far as the price range ,, are u looking new or used??? i don;t think u will be able to find a new one in the price range u are looking at ,, but do some home work ,, go to rv shows ,, and look around ,, then go drive a few and see what u like ,, but there agian JMO :)

keithb

Thanks for your response 730. I am looking at a pre-owned coach for sure. You know the deal. The newest I can find with minimal mileage and the biggest bang for my dollar. What is normal maintenance for a pusher and the yearly cost? I have camped in a travel trailer half of my life but I don't have an adequate tow vehicle now. I just want to get in and drive and then use the scooter or tow vehicle. I have driven a 34' gas rig and it was fine. Then drove the pusher and loved it. I am looking for functionality and comfort.

G

well that all depends on what enigine u get ,, and also if u get air ride ,, and full air brakes ,, (not air over hydraulic) but u can figure on about 300 bucks for an oil change ,, unless u do it yourself ,, and then also need to ck the tire dates ,, if they are over 6 yrs old ,, then that could run u another 1,800 to 2 grand ,, and then u have to deal with keeping the anitfreeze silica up ,, that way u won't pit the sleeves in the block ,, those are just a few,, there are many more that i have not mentioned
:)

keithb

Based on what I said in my original post and with your experience Rving, what you recommend I buy?

LEN

Re: Hello!! Newbie here-Introduction

With the $$$$$$$$$ you have to spend I would go with a mid range 2002 plus or minus as to what you find, Like Monaco diplomat, Holiday Rambler Endevor, Tiffin or Newmar coach. At this mid level coach and above you will find the nice to have option and all the needed ones. And at this level you are Diesel about 300-350 HP with a diesel gen.
As to maintenance about $500 a year Oil change and filters, cheaper if your handy. But I would look at the records of the unit and see what may have not been done and should be. I have just gone through mine with all fluids, Cat motor, Gen, rear end, Trans and radiators and now I'm good to go for a while.
A good inspection by a pro at sale will/could save lots of $$$$$$$$$$.
Look Look and Look some more and see what floor plan suite YOU best.

LEN

keithb

Len
Sent you a private message. Hopefully it got there.

Rod
Sent you a private message as well.

H2H1

Keith I have a 2003 Fleet wood GAS and love it. I did not want a diesel due to the maintenance and up keep. I can change my own oil and filter and lube it for around 25.00, and that includes the genset. I do this every 3500-4000 miles. I do feel if you keep OLF and all the other fluid up you will better off. wish you well on your decision and good luck. We hope to see you on the road. BTW, the diesel love to be on the road and not sitting up.

C Nash

Keith we have a 2002 HR 32 ft 2 slide gasser and have been very pleased. As Hollis I do my own service and repair when possible. The diesel will get a little better MPG but gas is cheaper now. Diesel are made to run but a gasser should go for as many miles as the house holds up with proper care. The diesel or most do have more CCC. Whichever you choose be sure and check the CCC which should be listed in one of the cabints. You need at least 1500 lb more would be better. The diesel with true air ride will handle better. JMO

keithb

Hollis and Chelse
Thanks for your input. I just got back from the RV show at Dodger Stadium. Saw a few units I liked but not really in my price range. I am thinking about a gas coach again due to maintenance. Man, there are too many choices out there. I wish I had an extra $96K laying around the house. A local dealer has knocked 50% off a 2008 Destination (Winnebago) gas pusher. It is a beautiful coach. What does CCC mean?

C Nash

CCC cargo carring capacity or the weight of all the goodies we carry with us.

Riley

In the market for a Keystone-Mountaineer 5th wheel. Were there many 5th wheel displays at the Dodger Stadium Show, or was it all Class A's? I couldn't find a single listing for this show on the internet.!!!
Thanks,
Mike

keithb

Mike
I think they had some 5th wheel trailers. I am interested in Class A's and they were quite a few there so I was concentrating on that class. Class C's, travel trailers, and toy haulers I believe. I went on Tuesday. The hours are 10am-4pm. On Tuesday there was no parking fee or entry fee. It is put on by McMahon's RV.

HazDat

keithb - 1/1/2010 4:09 PM

Mike
I think they had some 5th wheel trailers. I am interested in Class A's and they were quite a few there so I was concentrating on that class. Class C's, travel trailers, and toy haulers I believe. I went on Tuesday. The hours are 10am-4pm. On Tuesday there was no parking fee or entry fee. It is put on by McMahon's RV.

Did anyone happen to notice if there was a selection of Class-B's @ Dodger's? We were thinking about heading over there today to possibly get a feel for Roadtrek, GWV, or something similar.

HazDat

Thank you keithb. Just got back. Unfortunately, nothing within my price/specs, but it was reinvigorating to step through all the models -- even the really big comfy A's and still come back resolute about a B.

keithb

There was almost nobody there on Tuesday from 12-2 pm. Were there very many people when you were there? I was a Class A buy all the way but I am now looking at 5th wheel trailers and comparing. I would like to have a vehicle and a m/c or scooter with me. The only way I get that is if I have a 5th wheel. I am sure I will figure it out along the way.

HazDat

There were a number of people there on Saturday, but the sales people still seemed to outnumber the customers.