HELP........ATTN ALL 1/2 TON HAULERS

Old Forum Post

[J.J.] I BOUGHT A 1/2 TON GMC PICK-UP. I BOUGHT THE TRUCK BEFORE WE DECIDED TO GET A TRAILER. NOW WE ARE HAVING TROUBLE FINDING A FIFTH WHEEL THAT WE CAN HAUL THAT ISN&#039T AN ENTRY LEVEL TRAILER (MAX LOADED WEIGHT OF 7000#). WE WOULD EVEN BE OPEN TO A SMALL ONE WITH A SLIDE-OUT. ANYONE HAVE ANT MODELS THAT WE CAN TAKE A LOOK AT? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. thanx !!!!!!

Old Forum Post

[chelse nash] J.J.
We have a 278 2000 Cougar Fifth wheel with slide by Keystone and have been very pleased with the unit. We towed with a 1/2 ton ext. cab chev and had no problems. I consider it a entry level unit. I don&#039t think you will be able to find a unit other than the light-weights that you will be able to tow with the 1/2 ton. I now have a chev. dually and would never go back. Stoping worried me more than the pulling.

Old Forum Post

[jo] I have 1/2ton in the driveway for sale. It&#039s beautiful truck, but
i&#039m pulling a 19ft sunline. I would not even think of tring any thing bigger. Don&#039t go by the dry wet, cause it will usually be loaded to the gills. nothing is worst than not be able to make it over a hill. I was told by the dealer I could pull the sunline with Dakota (6cyl). Yeah right, he must live in the flat land.

Old Forum Post

[Will]
Do not be misled by the figures given by manufacturers or dealers.They are greatly overrated.I had a Ford straight 6 towing a 24&#039 Sunline with a UVW of 3550 and it was all the truck could handle safely.Driving thru the mountains of Vt.was a "pedal to the metal" experience.I now have a Ford V8 and a 19&#039 Sunline and although the truck is rated by the mfg. at 7000 I would not recommend towing anything much over4500 UVW.Be conservative and be safe.Leave the 5ers to the HD ones.

Old Forum Post

[Larry] Also try www.trail-lite.com, I have a 27.5Ft model 5273-S that has a manual slide and dry wt. of 5000lbs. It tows easily with my 1500LS Silverado ext. cab SB, 5.3L 3.73 axle. 1st trip was to Cloudcroft, NM at 9000ft. This unit both looks good and uses good construction techniques. This is my 2nd 1/2 ton truck and 3rd 5&#039ver.

Old Forum Post

[dionne] Like you I had a 1/2 ton (305-V8 aut. w/342 rear-end).
The trailer dealer said I had enough truck to pull a 24 ft 5er. with manual slide out.It weighed 5000# dry with a GVWR of 6200#.
660# on the pin.
I bought the trailer but the truck couldn&#039t really pull this thing especially in the hills, for a while I thought things were normal but then it would overheat easily (on hills)and I was always worried about breakdowns.
The short of it is I lucked into a 6.5 turbo-diesel 1/2 ton, towed 10,000 kl. with it so far and I now know how great a liar that salesman was. Ask a whole bunch of RVer&#039s is your best bet.