HELP..Keeping Winter Critters, Mice and the sorts OUT????

NJKane

Hiya Everyone!
Wow, reading these other posts has sure been helpful in teaching us so much. We recently took our RV on our first Long Distance Family Trip from NJ to FL for a week during the kids school break. Now our rig is getting winterized and I want to know when I bring it home how to keep critters, mice, and other sorts out of our lovely RV home. I have cleaned out cabinets of all food but I am sure I might be missing some kind of deterrent or trick to keep those darn mice at bay. THey sure do wreck havoc on wires and mattresses. Any and ALL suggestions will be much appreciated.
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

Kane Family in South Jersey

H2H1

RE: HELP..Keeping Winter Critters, Mice and the sorts OUT????

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, I would suggest that you go to the search post and type in mice and you will see other posts about mice. Ibelieve this would be helpful to you. I can say that I am new also to the forum and agree, there is so much info here and everyone is so nice and helpful. So enjoy yourMH and the forum.

ARCHER

Re: HELP..Keeping Winter Critters, Mice and the sorts OUT????

I use moth balls put in plastic baggies with holes punched in them and then I put them inside (under cabinets, under fridge, under bed, etc.). I then put the baggies in each of the outside storage compartments. BTW, I also put out the mice decon little boxes so they have something to eat if they get past the moth balls. I used this method on my big boat and it worked just fine. I use it now on my Class A and my little boat. ;)

Canadian Camper

I have tried many things for getting rid of mice (including moth balls), but the best so far that I have found is spreading cloves (a spice) around. So far it is working for me

Kirk

Stuff steel wool into any openings where a mouse might crawl in, such as power cord and hose entry points and plumbing penetrations. If you have power available, the ultrasonic deterrents also help. I also use the mouse baits that you can buy in any store in all storage bays where a mouse might enter as well as ant traps for those little critters. We are fulltime so we don't like the moth ball ideas since they tend to make everything smell of them inside the RV.

deniloo

Like Kirk, we didn't like the moth ball smell, so read somewhere about using peppermint oil. Not the extract but oil. I bought it at GNC and will try it this winter. Soak cotton balls with the oil and place them wherever you would put the moth balls. Also remember to take out any paper products as the mice like these for their nests.

DL Rupper

We use moth balls under the RV. That way the smell doesn't permeate throughout the RV and it helps keep the critters away from the RV. Also, we spread fabric softeners inside the RV. Not sure if they help, but we heard they do. :bleh:

G

Hey DL u use fabric softners to make the diesel smell good ,, now admit it u do ,, there just a cover up for the mice stuff ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hamdave

Easy, I have a 'tom-cat' that takes care of those things VERY WELL !!.

tallyo

Steel wool, bay leaves and cut up pieces of a dog flea collar work wonders with small critters.

msjackie

I have heard that all the above works, I thought that I was going to have 730 come back to the beach(65-70 degrees, TAN TIME) and help me winterize but our son came home and did it

H2H1

Well I have not had any problem with the critters, we have use all the above seem to helped but, we have an outside cat she was a feral cat so the wildness if bread into her. no mice snakes nothing, so we will keep her a little longer.

DL Rupper

The only time we have had a mouse in our RV was when we were in Southern Utah close to the 4 corner Navajo country. The mice in that area carry Haunta Virus. Their droppings mix in the household dust and is very deadly. The little guy would come out at night and look at us with his cute little eyes and wiggle his big ears (Deer mouse). I finally had to buy an old fashioned mouse trap and send him to mouse heaven. He got in by climbing my 30 amp cord and going through a small hole where the 30 amp hard wires came into the RV. I sealed the hole with silicone and no more mice. So far. :eek: