Help! Need trailer empty weight advice.

Scott

Having survived the recent fires in San Diego compells me to secure a "getaway" vehicle for my parrots. Although I rented a 24' Ryder van for standby evacuation purposes, this is an obviously untenable long-term solution. What I seek is a lightweight enclosed trailer of 14' to 16' length with a rear ramp for loading bird cages. The maximum load will not exceed 250 to 300 pounds. My most capable vehicle is a Ford Taurus with a max tow load of 1750 pounds. Is there a suitable trailer available with an empty weight of not more than 1400 pounds or so? I hope never to use it as such, but realize the combination must be safe!

KrazyJay

Check your local Lowes and Home Depot. In my area they carry small enclosed trailer for contractor use.

hertig

Also, check some of the trailer manufacturers, such as 'Wells Cargo'. See your yellow pages under 'trailers' to see who has a local outlet. With the ones from Lowes, etc, you get what you get. With Wells Cargo, etc, they can build it with custom tie down points to keep the cages from rolling around/falling over, and ventilation options. You may also want to look into getting one with shock absorbers, or the birds could be airborne after each bump :)

Also, make sure you get a hitch which will handle the full towing capacity of your car, ie a frame hitch, not a bumper hitch.

C Nash

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum and glad to hear you survived those awful fires. You may want to check with your local u-haul rental service and see if they are selling any of their small enclosed trailers. They are sold in our area from time to time.

Scott

Thanks to all for the advice! I'm also considering a used "step van", such as a Grumman or GMC product. These have the advantage of immediate use, cushioned ride, and an enclosed environment near the driver that should be carbon monoxide free. OTOH, it's another vehicle to maintain. Pricing for a late 1980's van in good condition is a tempting 4 to 6 thousand dollar range.

hertig

Don't forget registration and insurance costs...

(which, considering it is California, may also be in the 4 to 6 K range :)