Help! RVs needed for Katrina Evacuees!

kirkl

A loan of a RV, have you seen the auction sites of trailors for temp housing from storms like this. These people have no respect for them and tear them to hell.

rvforhumanity

Perhaps a Donation is better than a loan. We have had an unbelievable response thus far! Many Many thanks to the community!

turnipbwc

To loan an RV to someone you don't even know. I feel sorry for those people caught in Katrina but to loan an RV is a lot to ask. The RV will never be the same.

C Nash

Have to agree with you on this one Turnip. Really feel sorry for all those that have lost everything to Katrina but I don't even let the kids borrow our RV. We have donated to the Katrina victems and will continue to do so. It should be a wake up call to us all. Be prepared and don't wait on the goverment to take care of us. Sure hate to see the finger pointing that is starting to show up. Time we got back to using common sense. I would never live in a place that is below sea level next to the sea.

SnowbirdInFlight

Gotta say I too would not want to loan my TT out. However, I did write that I would be willing to transport a TT down there since the Government has contracted that 40,000 to 50,000 TT's be made for the Katrina victims to use as temp housing

Katrina RV-related news

Travel trailers on their way to Katrina victims
FEMA has requested 40,000 to 50,000 travel trailers, most of which will come from the South Bend, Indiana area, home to most of the trailer production in the USA. Companies sending the RVs include R Vision, Forest River, Gulf Stream and Keystone, but others are likely involved. Gulf Stream has said it is hiring an additional 200 employees to handle the anticipated influx of orders. Most of the trailers will be used as temporary shelter. RV companies aren't providing specific numbers on units being built because orders are still arriving, keeping production lines buzzing. In Egelston Township, Michigan, Lakeshore RV has received an immediate federal government order for 100 new travel trailers to house hurricane refugees. Winnebago spokesperson Sheila Davis told Forbes Magazine that her company expects Katrina to spur its sales in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Source: http://rvtravel.com/publish/newsletter/issue176.shtml

Geometricenigma

This is the EXACTLY the kind of solicitation that the press is warning about as being a POTENTIAL SCAM.

You want me to LOAN my VERY valuable RV - to complete strangers - in another part of the country - based on a solicitation from an unknown charity!? If anyone here is actually considering this very foolish course of action I strongly suggest you at least run it by your insurance agent first - I WONDER what he'll say?

As Lt. Gen. Honore is fond of saying, "We ain't stuck on stupid." Don't you be stuck on stupid either.

SnowbirdInFlight

You know what? You are right! Why would they need the loan of RV's when the government has contracted for NEW travel trailers are to be sent for these people to live in for months! No one would ask someone for their RV to be used for months, possibly years! Yep, sounds like a scam to me too! :eek:

RentalJay

I have to say that I agree with the consensus about this type of request.

I work at a dealership and I know what we have been doing, scrambling to find RV's to fill the FEMA orders. Nobody in their right mind would "loan" or "donate" their RV for this type of use. If nothing else, do as I did. I sold my Endeavor to FEMA, through the dealership, and will by another when they become available again.

RentalJay

I have to say that I agree with the consensus about this type of request.

I work at a dealership and I know what we have been doing, scrambling to find RV's to fill the FEMA orders. Nobody in their right mind would "loan" or "donate" their RV for this type of use. If nothing else, do as I did. I sold my Endeavor to FEMA, through the dealership, and will buy another when they become available again.

tonigil

I have made large donations to the Red Cross and to the Humane Society for the poor animals that were left behind. I value the lives of the evacuees and the animals. But, I have to agree, loaning my RV to strangers???? I won't even loan my RV to my kids. And I know them. We could help in many other ways. We could even welcome an evacuated child into my home. But, sorry, not my RV.
I agree with the others. This does sound like a scam to me also.
Toni
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeojvhi/tonigilmartin2/index.html

SnowbirdInFlight

This IS legit:
Rent your motorhome to a construction worker
If you own a recent-model RV in good condition and want to put it to good use, call your favorite RV rental company to see if it would like to "borrow" it to rent to construction companies whose workers are headed south to help in the hurricane clean-up effort. The companies will pay for its use and the cost of insurance.

Source: http://rvtravel.com/publish/newsletter/issue177.shtml

turnipbwc

Never will rent mine and I know a lot of others will not either. Might as well give it to them because there will be nothing left of it when you get it back.

SnowbirdInFlight

Depends on how much they rent it for and for how long. If you have an older model and would like to buy a new one and they pay you high enough rent for a few years, it would make a great payment on a brand new model and you would still get the old one back to sell. ;)

jesusfreak

Wow, I know I never knew owning a RV meant you threw your soul out of the window. I did a search for "donate RV to Katrina victims" and found your site. Goodness you are a bunch of selfish people. "Donate my RV????, I feel sorry for the Katrina victims, but..." For your information there are a number of generous people in my state who have willingly loaned RVs to evacuees to use while they rebuild in LA and MS. Some people in this world are actually giving people homes to live in for FREE! Why? Because they have compassion for their fellow man. Most poeple affected by this tragedy are hardwoking, honest Americans, they just happened to live in the path of a Cat. 4 hurricane. I certainly hope none of you ever find yourself homeless with your precious RV blown away. I always like to refer to Matthew, Chapter 25 verse 31-46. "For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in...I was homeless and you did nothing... He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me'" You should read it before it is too late for you, you bunch of goats!

C Nash

Hmmm jesusfreak, what have you done? Seems as though my book tells me somewere do not judge others. you don't know what we may have gave to the victems of katerina. Go and spend what some of these rvs cost and then see about donating it. Where are the thousands of sex offenders out of New Orleans? Where are the criminals that are out on bond waiting trial?. My first responsibility is to my family. Yep jesusfreak I know it's suppose to be to God. Just had a murder down the road from us last night. Someone broke into a Preachers house and killed his wife after knocking him in the head with a brick. Could this have been a katrina victim looting that was ran out of New Orleans? Have volentered to help out victems that have been put up in our local campgrounds. Some victems here are working and expecting no handouts. Those are the ones I like to help. Some are sitting back and blaming Bush for not helping more. Some people in our area or going around and collecting money for katrina people and putting it in their pockets. Seems that those that are whinning are the real goats. to many people want something free in todays world. I truly feel for all those that have lost everything and would provide for anyone that I knew in my own home but, a total stranger NO lend my MH to a total stranger NO. Sorry you fell as though we have no compassion for our fellow humans but, I think that rvers would be some of the first to respond where we could.