Help us find a fifth wheel

Gator2

Recently retired and looking for a good value in a fifth wheel. We have a '01 Chev 2500HD w/ 6L (300 hp), ext. cab, long bed. Owner's manual says it will tow 10,200 lb. Our budget is $30k max - out the door. Prefer new with aluminum frame. We've looked at the Sunnybrook 28RLKS & the Sprinter 262 FWRLS that were priced within our budget. We also looked at the Montana which was too much money. Does anyone have any suggestions? We would also like to hear about any reputable & fair (price) dealers in TX, NM, OK, LA, AR or CO. Any and all advice would be appreciated. We've never owned an RV and have lots to learn! Gator

thumbs

Gator2

My wife and I are gettin ready to join your ranks and are in the process of lookin for the same thing. Take a look at the Laredo by Keystone. They make severial floorplans and are on the net. We have looked at a bunch and so far that is the one we like the best. Our dealer localy gave us 25% off list. Haven't bought it yet still figurin out what we want to do and still lookin but so far that's the one we keep commin back to.

Good luck huntin

Gary

Souderton, Pa

Gator2

Thanks, Gary! I already checked out their site & the Laredo looks real good. The 28 RE will probably be best for us. I can set up my laptop on the desk in the corner. But, my better half will probably fight for the 27 RLD with the optional island in the kitchen. Oh well, whatever it takes to get on the road and see the country. Now, let's see, where to go first -- Yellowstone? The Grand Canyon? Rocky Mountain Nat'l. Park? Yosemite? ...

thumbs

Gator2

Yeap that's the one we liked. We like the rear liveing area for the openess. My wife likes the desk. One of the things I like about the unit is the carring capasity. It has a little more than some of the others. I don't know if you have seen one in person or not but it is a mid profile. I am 6'2" and can't stand in the bed area but it's really no big deal for me. It has plenty of room to get in and out without and my wife says there is plenty of room for her to make the bed and such. Yeah so far that is the one we liked.

If I can be of any help let me know. Like I said I have been in one and may be able to answer a question or two if I can remember. ;-}

Let me know how you make out on your quest. I would be interested in hearing about what you find. We havn't made up our minds yet either and are open to suggestions.

Gary

Gary

Souderton, Pa

Gator2

Gary, do you remember what kind of door / curtain was at the bedroom entry? Some rv's we've seen have had the folding door, some a sliding hollow core and others a cloth or plastic curtain. From the looks of floor plans on websites, some don't have anything at the BR entrance. Just wondering. Gator

thumbs

As I remember it had a folding plastic curtain. Like strips of plastic that folded like an accortian. Again if memory serves. I think you can get a glass one as an option.

Gary

Gary

Souderton, Pa

thumbs

Hold on Gator

I misread your post a bit here. There was a hollow core door to the entreance to the bath. I was thinkin of the shower curtain.

Gary

Souderton, Pa

thumbs

Now for your question. ;-} Ok I'm a moron. Maybe this time I will get it right or maybe I should tell ya about all the doors since I am havein this brain freeze thing goin on. Daaaaaaaaa I am stupid but not usually this stupid.

The door to the bed room area was a folding curtain. Can't remember exactly what it was made of but it folded to the port (left) side of the trailer.

Sorry for all the posts

Gary

Souderton, Pa

C Nash

Hey Thumbs,
Now we know where you have to sleep (sorry Thumbs, could not let that one pass) Sure it's the same as Cougar, a sliding curtain.
Question, If I tell my wife I am 6 ft + will she still make me make the bed?

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

C Nash

Hi Gator2,
I really liked the construction of the Sunnybrooks when we were shoping a few yr back but we went with the 278 cougar with slide because it was cheaper and we planned on upgrading to a M/H in a couple yrs anyway. Well that couple yrs has gone and we are shoping again. At the time the Sunnybrook did not have very good storage and I had a 1/2 truck for tow so the cougar fit the need and we really liked the floorplan. Been a great trailer. I think it and the Larado are similar. I beliebe the Larado is made in the mid west keystone factory and cougar east coast. I had posted my 2cw earlier but must have hit the wrong button and don't know where it went so if it shows up twice ,sorry

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Gator2

Thanks for the information Chelse and Gary. We're going to a local dealer tomorrow to look at Forest River. I spoke with a salesman by phone and he said they are a very good value. I'll let you know. Any opinions on Forest River?

Gator2

Went to 2 dealers and looked at Forest River Wildcat, Fleetwood Pride, Keystone Cougar & Glendale Titanium. We were most impressed with the Titanium - higher quality, better aerodynamics, roomy bedroom with a real door! It's made in Canada, but (& it's a big but), the MSRP was about $40K+! Next best was the Pride 28 5J. It's 28'11", all aluminum, welded frame with fiberglass ext. It has what they call a storage maximizer chassis - the most "basement" storage we've seen. I'm a little concerned with Fleetwood's reputation. I've heard and read some negative stuff about their products. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments. Still haven't seen the Laredo yet, but of the ones we've seen, our top choices in our price range are the Sunnybrook 28RLKS and the Pride 28 5J.

C Nash

Gator2, I would not worry about the horror tales heard on Fleetwood. They are one of the largest mfgs of rv so they will probably have more complaints. All mfgs turn out lemons, just have to hope we don't get one. I personally like the Sunnybrook products better but, I have not seen the Pride. Is it built with the cage alum box like the Sunnybrook and Montana? Also remember, you should be able to buy for 20 to 25% less than mfg list. Looked at one of the canada built M/H and like you was very impressed with overall construction.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Gator2

Yes, I think it is a box frame & the salesman made a point to say it is welded, not held together / attached with screws or other hardware like other RV's. Said the reason they have to do that is that their aluminum is too thin to weld. I think he was referring to Sunnybrook, because we had mentioned that we were comparing his Fleetwoods & Forrest Rivers to the Sunnybrook (which we really liked). We told him we thought screws were used vs. welding to enable flex, where a weld might stress and break. He replied "believe me, it's because the aluminum they use is too thin". Does anyone know which construction method is better? My opinion is that Sunnybrook makes a quality RV, and both methods, as long as quality materials are used, workmanship is first rate and inspection is thorough. Opinions???
Also, just wondering if anyone has used the "RV Buyer's Agent" to buy their RV at a lower price. They guarantee to save you at least $2000.

C Nash

Gator2, it would be interesting if you asked the Sunnybrook salesman to compare his to the Fleetwood and Forrest river product. Bet he could come up with a reason his is better. Can't say where welded or screwed is best but I prefer the welded. If the screws are tight and not stripped or broken it should be ok but, if the joints are moving would that not make them loosen over time? If there were two screws installed and it moved it might break one. Welded, hope the welder was having a good day. Welding alum. takes a good welder so I would expect the welded frames cost more to produce. I personally would not use a agent. Like to do my own horse trading. Never has bothered me to offer a lower price. offer 30% less than list and go from there although, it is sometimes very hard to get them to give true list. Ask on the fleetwood & Forrest river how far apart the studs in the wall are?

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

fjohn56

All of this is good information, bring it to the attention of others by putting this up front.