Help...we have Ants!

LadyDe7936

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to keep ants out of your RV? Up until today I have only seen a couple in here but tonight it seems like they are crawling everywhere. I have dogs so I would prefer not to use any kind of poison that could hurt them. Thanks!

DL Rupper

Re: Help...we have Ants!

Use liquid Terro and put a drop on several pieces of the cardboard box that it comes in. Put it out in the corners of your cupboards, out of the way of your dogs. Works great, but you need to keep putting out fresh bait (Terro) for the ants. You can get it at Walgreen's.

im2cuteferu

Go somewhere for a few hours while you put a bug bomb in the trailer. I had to do this because it was really bad. Not seen one ant since then. Air it out when you get back. I have a dog, too.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ants will crawl in using the electrical wire, stab jacks, tires, etc. I have been told, not tried it, that ants will not cross Comet. Sprinkle a circle around everything that touches the ground and after you bomb out the ones inside, that should prevent new ones coming in.

Browzin

Ants do not like to cross any type of powder (comet, ajax, powder clothes soap etc.) but they will build a bridge over it or tunnel under it. I have found that using Sevin5 dust works wonders, it will kill around 65 different variets of inscets/bugs and is safe to use on dogs & cats as a flea powder. Just follow directions on container for use, it is available at most any store garden dept.
For the ants that have already entered, I have to agree use "Terro" it will take care of the ones on the inside & Sevin5 dust will prevent all others from entering.

chaparralsrcool

RE: Help...we have Ants!

We had ants in my Dad's RV that we borrowed after hurricane Ivan destroyed our house.
As you know, they are following a dependable food source. We found that someone had been dumping grease down the drain(something I NEVER do in house or trailer). After us living in trailer for awhile spreading chemicals etc. to no avail, I noticed they were gone. The jest of it all, my repeated dumping of hot soapy water through the grease caked pipes
had cleaned away the food source.

DL Rupper

Hey chaparralscool, welcome to the forum. We don't dump anything but hot soapy water down our RV's drain. Still get ants occasionally. Terro works. It gives the ants a nice drink of syrupy liquid that they take back to the colony and the queen. After feeding on Terro for a few days they disappear. :)

G

HMMMMMMMM ,, sound like a ryme Terro and Kerro (syrup that is) ant love that stuff ;) :laugh: :laugh:
Better than that have DL come to u'r sight and draw the ants away with his wonderfull smelling diesel fumes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)

Hey DL i hope u know i'm just funnin with u ,, i hope u don't take offense to what i kid about??? Also i can take it as much as i dish it out ,, we are all here to have fun and answer ???? ,, anyway ,, thought i'd throw that in ,, i don't wnat anyone mad at me due to my funnin :) :) :) ;) :eek:

LadyDe7936

Thanks everyone! :laugh: I will use some comet tonight and look for some terro tomorrow. I don't know what was put down this drain before we got it but grease isn't one of the things I would put. I did notice ants on the water hose and the electrical plug. I will dust them too. :)

Shadow

Like Ken said, anything that touches the ground is their way in. We spray our landing gear and tires. We keep the water hose and power cord off the ground by using our ladder on the trailer. And I also spray the post the electric box is on.

hobo

They also can get on and in your RV if you park under a tree and a limb touches the top.