HELPme

freeme

I just bought a 1987 Fleetwood Prowler Lynx H22. I have never pulled a travel trailer, much less owned one. (It was a great deal i couldn't pass up). One of my problems is that I have no idea how much this thing weights or if my 2003 Isuzu Rodeo will pull it. I do have an electric brake for it but no wiring instructions. In case you haven't guess by now, I am a woman but am very eager to learn. I really want to do this to spend time with my kids. Looking for any advise I can get.

Grandview Trailer Sa

HELPme

There should be a weight sticker in the cabinets somewhere, look over the sink or on the inside of the cabinet door. You want the UVW number, that is the unit vehicle weight. Go to your Isuzu dealer and ask about what your Rodeo can pull. The brake controller and wiring needs to installed by trailer dealer, so it matches the trailer. Depending on the weight of the trailer, you might need a weight distributing hitch or sway control.
Good Luck

turnipbwc

HELPme

freeme,
Welcome to the forum..........This is my opinion and my opinion only. I think your Isuzu Rodeo may be a little light to pull a 22' trailer. One thing I am against is a short wheelbase vehicle pulling a travel trailer that size. A lot of people are going to disagree with me but I seen 3 wrecks in my area last summer involving travel trailers and all 3 were pulled by short wheelbase vehicles. The tropper investigating the accidents made the statement to the press that short wheel base vehicles should not be pulling trailers.
If you are set on doing this then you might want to look into a long wheelbase pick-up truck or another longer wheelbase vehicle. Whatever you do, Good Luck.............Like I said in the start, this is my opinion only. Happy RVing freeme.
turnip42

Grandview Trailer Sa

HELPme

I agree also, but there are millions doing it. It makes common sense that short vehicle towing a long trailer is not a good mix.
A lot wrecks are caused from speeding, improper hitch setup, and just not using good judgement when driving. I was towing my fifth wheel this past Mon. morning and a jerk came out of a school and cut me off. I had to slam on my brakes to not hit him. I was driving about 4mph less than the limit (45), but after he pulled out, he did not even do the limit.
The Isuzu Rodeo will tow a 22' trailer IF the hitch and sway control is set up properly. That, of course is my opinion also. I see much worse every day.

Kirk

HELPme

While your Isuzu may well be able to pull the trailer if you get an equalizer hitch and sway bar set-up, that does not mean that it can do so safely. So the question that you must answer is, "How concerned am I about safety?" The best way to know what you can tow is to check the combined weight ratings and the tow rating of you Isuzu and then weigh the trailer, loaded for travel. Next best way is to use the gross trailer weight, which will be inside the trailer somewhere. But the weight rating is only part of the question as the length of the tow vehicle is a fixed thing.

HELPme

I think what Kirk means by safely is, can you get it stopped without killing or dismembering someone. This is what causes 99.9% of RV related accidents. Most people think that if you have enough power under the hood to get it moving that everything is cool. Another thing to consider is HILLS what kind of terrain will you be pulling into?