highway routes

technautica

Goodday:

Just starting to plan a 3 month cross country trip. When my trailer is loaded, my tow vehicle is nearing the maximum limit of its towing capacity, so I am looking to find an internet site that shows highway grades (vertical rise and fall) for mountain routes that would help in the planning. Does anyone know of a site that would give this information
thanks James

C Nash

Re: highway routes

James, welcome to the forum. You can buy a Atlas that will give the mountain grades. Think it is called a truckers atlas or mountain atlas. I think Good Sam route planning might offer this type of info and am sure others do.

DL Rupper

Hey technautica, welcome to the forum. What type of tow vehicle do you have? The reason I ask is if you have a newer diesel pickup there aren't any grades you can't climb. If you have a gas V-8 then you will need the Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Mortorhome Drivers. They have one for the 11 Western States and there is one for the Eastern States. The main thing you have watch, is if you can climb the mountain the fun part is coming down at a good slow safe speed. Exhaust Brakes are a good way to slow a diesel down.

You can probably get the Mountain Directory at a book store, Truck Stop or through the Good Sam Club.

hertig

The Good Sam trip router will notify you of the steep grades on your route, but you will need the book to find out the details of each one.

technautica

Thanks for the leads. My tow vehicle is a '93 Buick Roadmaster wagon with 350 LT1 gas power pulling a restored 26' Airstream trailer which is about 4000lbs empty. I think I will need the Truckers Atlas to find the easiest routes for the ol' girl.

Buckeye Chuck

In addition to the guides that give you the % and length of grades I suggest picking up a copy of "THE NEXT EXIT". This book gives you information on what's available (food, fuel, services etc.) at just about every exit on every interstate. I wouldn't go on the road without it.

Good luck and have fun,

-BC-

DL Rupper

Hey BC, a portable GPS does the same thing only it also tells you where RV Parks, Wal-Marts, Post Offices, etc are located.

Buckeye Chuck

Hi DL,

You're correct, that it does. I just find it easier to have my navigator ,aka DW, look it up in the book. She can see ten exits at a glance without having to scroll through the various menus on the GPS and my attention stays on the road. Just what I prefer.

-BC-

tallyo

Are you sure you need to load everything, before you leave??? Buying stuff as you go maybe more practical. It certainly can cut down on a lot of weight. I have seen folks carrying cases of cokes and water. That stuff adds up fast.

DL Rupper

Hey BC, having wifey do the navigating didn't work for me. She can't navigate. By the time she located the exit in the book, we were down the road 3 exits and I really had to "go". She loves "Lucy in the Sky" (name of the GPS) because it keeps her out of trouble and it's much safer than me trying to read the Map or Exit book while driving. However, having said that "Lucy in the Sky" does take us to some interesting places and tells us to make a "U" turn while driving down the Interstate if she thinks I didn't mind her and missed the turn. I always check the Map before I start so I can keep her on the straight and narrow. :laugh: ;) :eek:

THISTOYISHERS

DL our Gizmo did the same thing on a one way street as I was coming south to see dad, do not forget to look over a map sometimes