Hill Country

Domingo

I just came back from  a short  three day camping trip to Inks Lake State(Hill Country) in Burnet Texas. It is three and a half hour dive from Dallas.  I usually take a couple of short trips before I take a long trip which is planned for March where we are going to San Antonio and Mustang Island State park for almost ten days.    The reason for this is to find things that may need fixing as we take the long trip.  The trip was perfect no problems.  I did find a short on the radio. I may have to replace it but that is minor stuff.  Something has been bothering me since I purchased this RV.  It is a Holiday Rambler Endeavor 36' gas V 10 .  I seems to loose power as I climb hills.  It struggles to climb. It kicks on another gear to get me to the top then it cruise and gains speed without any problems.  It has plenty of power on the open road.  I have to keep an eye on the speedometer. sometimes I find myself going over the speed limit.  The point is, it drives and handles smooth without hesitations  and  it is a comfortable drive until I start climbing hills.  Any ideas what I should check or am I asking too much of a big heavy gas powered RV.

TexasClodhopper

Re: Hill Country

Domingo, I have the V-10 in my Winnie. I've had it regularly shift out of overdrive on overpasses on several trips. I had to pull it down to 2nd going over Raton Pass in NM.

Recently, I've been running the next grade up from 'regular' gas. Instead of 86 octane, I've been putting 89 octane in it. I haven't compiled the gas mileage numbers yet, but they are up. (I don't know yet if the extra mileage is worth the extra $$$.)

The most noticeable difference is the pulling power. It no longer shifts out of overdrive except on the longest overpasses. It has noticeable extra power.

It is going to hurt you with the $$$, but I recommend going up in octane.

Also, you might try running your MH to the scales and see if you and your family are 'traveling' or 'moving' when you go camping! :clown:

DL Rupper

Speaking of V-10's, has anyone heard from John Hertig lately. He always had something to say about V-10's. :laugh:

LEN

Domingo, That is xactly the name of the game. Wait until you take on some of the pass' out west. 5000', now 1/4 of your power is gone do to altitude and you gotta go up another 3000' at a 5-7%, that gasser will be screaming at you and sucking fuel. Coming down I-5, the Siskiyus, I was down to 3rd of 6 and 42 mph just barely out doing the trucks and couldn't get 4th.

LEN

G

DL ,, i was kinda wondering the same thing ,, haven't seen him in awhile ,, but i might do a search on him and see when he was last on here :approve:
ok just cked ,, and he was last logged in on 9/28/08 ,, hope he's ok ,, now u got me wondering too ,, DL :eek:

Domingo

Thanks. Tex I will try using the higher octane. This a good start since I left the tank on empty. Good to know other people have the same situation. My wife and I usually pack light we do not take more then we need. :). Len. I felt that way while in Arkansas boy was I getting worried. I know what you mean about the gasser screaming at me and sucking all the gas.. I felt as if I had traveled a small distance before I needed to refuel.

jetboat

RE: Hill Country

on the high performance side a couple things might help.headers and a k&N air filter.also mcheck if they make the hyper-tech engine computer for the v-10,theres numerous things it can do.

cwishert

John wants to get a program for ours too. We were not prepared for the surges like Domingo was describing but since hubby is a mechanic he knows about theses things. So mainly he just slowed down on the hills and stopped using the cruise control for now. Maybe I will tell him about the higher octane gas and see how that works. He doesn't want to shell out the extra $$$ for the program that may or may not work. He is trying to talk his friend into purchasing it for his business and then letting him use it for a smaller fee. We will see how that works out too. For now we will adapt the driving. Mostly flat around here so not so much of a problem. When we go to San Antonio, New Braunfels, and other Hill Country destinations then we will need to check further into it.

TexasClodhopper

Carol, I've developed the "left toe tap" cruise control method.

When I'm headed for a high overpass where it might shift out of overdrive (with the associated high revs), I tap the brake pedal slightly to cancel the cruise control.

It is now almost second nature to do that. (I have trouble when I get back in my pickup truck, though!)

Kirk

Domingo,

If you read your owner's manual, it says to use 87 octane fuel at all altitudes. When you get into the higher altitudes that will be the super as regular at high altitudes is only 85. But do not exceed that because your engine was designed to operate on 87 at all altitudes. The electronic systems take care of such things so don't tamper with things. What you have is a case of shifting out of overdrive when climbing, just as it is supposed to do. If you read the Ford manual it will tell you this.

I have driven a 99 Ford V-10 now for nine years of fulltime RV living. The only thing that I did do was to get the complete Banks exhaust and ram air systems as well as their Trans Command. That did make quite a difference on long climbs. Don't let people like Len run it down as that is a good engine and it will do the job just fine. The extra power from a system like the Banks is very nice to have, but it isn't vital. Ask Len to compare purchase prices and maintenance costs some day.

Unless the power was less than it used to be, you probably have no problem at all. The pusher guys may get up the steep grades a few minutes ahead of you, but they pay for that at the fuel pumps and when they buy the rigs.

LEN

Now Kirk! Take your mean pills or have to pick on someone today. I said nothing to down grade the V-10 even though your prejudice by having one. All I said was that a gasser will be screaming at you on those long climbs(true statement)
OH and if its sooooooo good and as I quote you "The electronic systems take care of such things so don't tamper with things" why do the add-ons. JUST DON"T START OK!!!!!!

LEN

Domingo

OK. I just priced the three systems you suggested Kirk. I think I am going to start on one system at a time. I will do the Ram air system this weekend. The rest I will do as I can . Eventually I will have the rest as I continue on my quest of having a mean lean traveling machine.
Like always your advise is well taken. Keep it coming. I am new at this and I am eager to learn. I am also doing most of the work by myself since I have lost fait on my local RV shops. :eek: .

TexasClodhopper

Hey, hey, hey! Don't mess with Texas! :clown:

I did say "89 octane" in my post, Kirk, but that's just my memory having a burp. It's the "Plus" grade on most pumps. I guess that it is "87 octane."

LEN

Domingo Look at the plug wires as a lot can be lost there unless they have been recently replaced. I think Brazels does a lot of fords as well as the chevs. Talk to Mike, they are at Quartzsite each year doing lots of installs for the gassers, he can give you a price and steps to the upgrades one at a time and which will do what. I had them go through a lot on my coach and the work is done right. They do sell parts and can give the install info a person needs as they do that also. They also do the chips and reprogramming and have a dino to see what is actually gained. 1-877-786-1576

LEN