Hit and Run help!

59Shasta

Hello! :disapprove: I am new and do I need help! My fantastic 1959 fully renovated Shasta was the victim of a hit and run at a storage facility. The insurance facility called an RV sales/service for a quote on how much it was worth and were told $500!!! I am sure that they have never seen a vintage camper before. The repair est. is $11,000 so they are calling the camper totaled. I do have all of the receipts from the renovations, but what I really need is an internet site that lists the values of these campers. Can anyone help me? I just moved to Seattle-for medical reasons-from a small island in Alaska and can't afford any of this but also can't bear the thought of being separated from my really special Shasta, now that I finally have her in the same place as I am. Thanks so much! :disapprove:

Kirk

Hit and Run help!

Obviously, the insurance company is using the value that is given to a fully depreciated RV that is still in use. Since yours was restored, that would change everything. Have you asked the shop that gave you the repair estimate to give you a statement of the value that it had before the damage? I would think that they would be willing to do so. Also, did you list the trailer as restored when you insured it? If the insurance wrote the policy as a restored value and charged the premium based on that, they would be liable but you may need a lawyer to get them to acknowledge it. If you just insured the trailer as a 1959 Shasta, with no indication that it had more than the depreciated value and then paid the premium based upon that low value, you are probably stuck. I would bet that the insurance company will negotiate to some higher value, perhaps even several thousand dollars. But unless the policy was written for a restored RV with a higher agreed value, it really doesn't look very hopeful.

Krazeehorse

Hit and Run help!

I am sure you would have to insure it like a vintage car, and that is with a stated value policy.

59Shasta

Hit and Run help!

Thanks, Kirk. I'll ask the place it's at if they can give me a "pre-accident" quote. When I insured it, I verbally stated that I wanted to insure it for more due to the work that had been done and the new appliances inside...but I'm not sure that it is on the policy. Are there any sites that are good for pricing Shasta's?

Kirk

Hit and Run help!

The books like NADA and the Kelly Blue Book for RVs would not be much help as they would only show current production RVs. Yours is 45 years old and I am sure it isn't in the book but it would have little value by that anyhow. I think that if you can locate a classic RV restoration club, that might be helpful. I did a search with Gogle on the name Shasta and got nothing of any help. I looked through 25 pages of listings and gave up. You may want to post a note on http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm as it is the most active RV forum that I know of. I would say that is probably your best bet. I would look for clubs that do restorations.