Hitch Ball

Radio

Is it advisible to lube hitch ball with white litheum grease to facilitate hitching and unhitching? Thanks for any suggestions or advise. Regards Doug

Gary B

Hitch Ball

Hi Radio, welcome to the forum, I know some folks lube the ball hitch but in 40+ years of towing trailers I have never put any grease/lube on the hitch ball, I do lube the hitch coupler mech. about once a year. I find that if you put grease on the ball it seems to grab on to you or your clothes every time you walk by and it definetly attrachs drit and grit, that will wear on the ball and coupler.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

Kirk

Hitch Ball

I did lube mine when I used to tow a trailer, but I also kept the ball covered when not in use and cleaned it frequently. Lubrication is good, but dirt and sand in the lubricant is worse than no lubrication at all. And these guys are right! A greased ball does seem to just jump out and wipe the black stuff on anyone who gets near it! A seldome used ball, or one not cleaned frequently, is better left dry.

Radio

Hitch Ball

Thanks guys for info. Just moved up from a pop-up to a tow behind 19 foot trailer. Got a lot to learn!!! Regards Radio

Trey

Hitch Ball

Radio,
I have pulled several TT's with a ball hitch and I agree the previous tips. A little trick is to by a ball cover. It definately helps keep the grease off your pants and believe me it will get there. Wipe down the ball with clean towel and put a little lube on, then slip your cover on. If you wipe the ball down when your done, and put the cover back on, the lube job is done! Happy trails! :laugh: