Hitch Question

Old Forum Post

[Jim] I have a 21&#039 Trail-lite travel trailer that I&#039ve been pulling with a Jeep Cherokee. I just bought a Chevy 1500 with a 5.3L. My hitch has several bolt holes for height adjustment. If I can&#039t adjust it so the trailer is perfectly level, would it be better slightly lower in front or higher? What is the reason for the hitch head to be at an angle? Is there a proper angle or is this just part of the height adjustment. Thanks for any help.

Old Forum Post

Hitch Question

[Les Adams] Jim,

With proper adjustment of ball height and hitch tilt, you should be able to get the TT just about perfect...

The purpose of hitch tilt is to set the weight distribution bars at the correct angle so that when they are "pulled up" in place and "equalizing" weight distribution to the tow vehicle, they are level or parallel to the ground...

It usually takes a few trys to get the hitch height and hitch tilt correct, but it usually can be done...

If I had to make a choice between higher or lower, I would choose to have it a bit lower in front for the following reasons... It will give additional clearance to plumbing and holding tanks in the rear of the trailer and it will shift the center of gravity further forward adding additional weight to the hitch... A little more weight on the hitch usually won&#039t hurt, you but you have to be careful not to shift too much weight to the hitch or the TT will become rather difficult to control...

Best Regards,
Les