hitch receiver

wesrow

I am new to the RV experience,I have switched from living quarter horse trailers to buying a motorhome and pulling a bumper pull.I had a class c and pulled a smaller 2 horse before with no problem.I have now bought a class a 1997 holiday rambler,it had a class 3 hitch on it,which was not rated enough for what i have now.I have a 3 horse that weighs around 4500lbs empty,then loaded with 3 horses and all the tack pushes it up to about 9000 lbs.So i had Camping World install a class five hitch on it,but it drags the pavement on low crossings.My question is what is the safest route,will airbags bring it up enough or what do i need to do.Thanks any advice would help,cause Camping World doesn't offer much help.I wasn't aware that the class five hitch would be that big or really take that much room underneath the frame.

Kirk

Re: hitch receiver

There really is not good answer since you have far exceeded the towing weight recommendations of the RV manufacturer. The reason that your HR came with a class 3 hitch is because your motorhome was only designed to tow about 3500#.

If you do what you plan to, you can expect to have major chassis issues if you do much of this. If you look under your motorhome, you will find that there are extensions welded on to the frame rails to make them longer. They have a maximum load capacity that is the #1 thing that limits the safe weight that can be towed on the hitch that is mounted to it. Adding air bags might raise the rear of the RV, but it sure won't do anything for the excess weight that you are putting on it.

Then you also need to take a look at the axle weight rating for your chassis. You didn't say what make chassis you have, but with a 1997 the chassis most likely has a 16000# GVWR and probably the rear axle weight it about 9000#. With your load you will be adding another 900 to 1000# of weight to the rear axle, in addition to the excess of towing weight. What you are doing is a sure route to a major disaster!

If this comes apart on the highway you may well kill three horses, not to mention the people in the cars near you!

brodavid

well said , go only with the oringal towing weight recomendations, I know that is not the answer you wanted

also good afternoon Kirk

wesrow

Thanks for the reply,The previous owner had a welder reinforce the frame in front of the extension and had braces coming back to the hitch from that and it was a 5000 lb hitch also.He towed a street rod on a steel frame trailer.I cut the weld and was going to reinforce it from there with the bigger hitch.I've seen alot Class A's at horse shows pulling trailers so was just wondering how they were set up.Probably will have to go to a heavier motorhome,been wanting a diesel pusher so that might just push the issue.You guys have a great forum and help alot of people.Thanks again!!