HITCH WIRING

ARCHER

OK, need the expert on wiring the hitch. I have the color code for my 1989 Winn and the wiring code for a trailer. What I don't understand or know how to do is how to make sure they are aligned correctly and the correct lights work. :dead:
I plugged in the trailer to the MH using the adapter I use on my truck, 4 prong (trailer) to the round on on the motorhome (by the way, it worked fine when I towed the trailer behind my truck). I do get some lights but the running lights (in front of fender , yellow) don't come on, nor does one of the turn signals work.
Anyone know the magic instructions on how to make this work? It appears that I can remove the round plug in on the motor home and move the wiring to different slots or something light that. :eek:
Keep it simple, please, as I am not the smartest person in the world but can follow easy instructions. :approve:

Gary B

HITCH WIRING

Hi ARCHER, what the heck are you doing I thought you were on your way to warmer temps, just kidding! :bleh: Heres a good a good site for help with wiring, www.tekonsha.com then click on the bargman logo, then on reference guide list/blub specs. then on 6 way zinc die cast connector or the type of connector you have. Good luck :)

hertig

HITCH WIRING

One of those trailer wiring testers (plugs into the 4 way wire) is a useful thing to have. It's built in LEDs let you know immediately if a wiring problem is in the truck or in the trailer. I think they are only 5 bucks or so.

ARCHER

HITCH WIRING

Thanks for the help.
No, have not left yet, Gary :laugh: , but the day after Christmas, I'll be on the road. Have to be here for the Grandkids.....
Hertig,
Where can you buy the tester? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cool:

hertig

HITCH WIRING

I imagine many RV stores and some of the bigger hitch/truck accessory stores should have them; I got mine at Camping World. I've also seen them on some of the RV accessory web sites if you don't have any place local. They are about the size of the plug itself, so goes in your toolbox or glove box or even ash tray. There is also one available which comes with a section of wire, so you can hold the tester in your hand while you work the light controls, but it is a lot more money (maybe $20)

ARCHER

HITCH WIRING

UPDATE:
Went to Stout's RV here in Indianapolis and the "Electrical Technician" was fantastic. He provided a chart and even wrote out the instructions. Came home and wired it like he said and worked first shot. I was impressed with the guy.
FYI...the wiring on older models (like my 89 Winn) does not match the new connections for going to 4 wired trailer (for color anyway).
So, I'm a happy camper now and almost ready to head to Florida. First, I have to win the Powerball lottery tonight... :laugh: :laugh: :cool:

Gary B

HITCH WIRING

Hi ARCHER, good to hear you got it all figured out and are ready to roll. Your right about the color codes seems they get changed or what ever over the years. Happy Holidays and if you sneak out without coming back on the BB have a great trip and winter!! GB :) :cool: ;) :approve: