Hitching up

dasutton

I would like to be able to hitch up our 30' travel trailer by myself. It seems like I could buy or build something that would be like a dowel or stick mounted near the ball, and another mounted near the trailer hitch that I could see over the bed of my truck. That way as I backed up, there would be a visual cue as to where the ball is in relation to the hitch.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

David

Gruffy

Hitching up

To help hook up the 5er I attached two pieces of colored tape to the front, about 12 to 18 inches in from the front corners. When I back into the hitch I try to keep the same amount of space between the tapes and the truck box as viewd through the rear view mirrors. As the truck gets close to contact the corners of the box obscure the tapes. That's when I check and I'm usually 4 to 6 inches from contact, lined up bang on.

It may take a couple of tries to get the tapes right but once done it works well for me.

Bud

Hitching up

DA camping world sells a mirror that slips over the tailgate of your truck right above the hitch that lets you see when you are in the right position to hook up. it cost $29.99 if you aren't a member and $26.99 plus s&h if you are a member. I don't know how good it is as I pull a 5er. Hope this helps you out. the order number is 21332. you can access them on computer and email your order if you want to. Bud

Bud

Hitching up

DA camping world sells a mirror that slips over the tailgate of your truck right above the hitch that lets you see when you are in the right position to hook up. it cost $29.99 if you aren't a member and $26.99 plus s&h if you are a member. I don't know how good it is as I pull a 5er. Hope this helps you out. the order number is 21332. you can access them on computer and email your order if you want to. Bud