Hitting the road to see the U.S.A.

hallsy59

Wife and I have talked this over and over, naturally its very hard leaving kids and grandkids behind, very very difficult for my wife. I tell her that is why we would have the internet. OK anyway-if we hit the road, living in our camper what are some issues we should consider?? Such as taxes, currently renting in MN but how or do you even worry about doing taxes??? Another issue is mail, relative to pick up and foward to our current place of stay???

I am sure there are other issues, I am 50, wife is 46 and I am on disability from State Corrections so finacially this would not be an issue.
Thanks for any all input on this

Take care

Dave

utmtman

Re: Hitting the road to see the U.S.A.

A lot of people get addresses in none state tax states like SD, Tenn, Tex, Fl, Wa, and Wy. I use SD which has mailing services all over the state. By the way my auto insurance dropped 400 a year using SD, and I will gain 500-900 by not having to pay state taxes, dont have to get state inspection and emissions now so will save another 50+ dollars a year there. Also the mailing service I used did all the leg work to get my vehicles licensed only thing I had to do was drive to SD to get our drivers licenses. I used the internet site mydakotaaddress.com. I have all my mail sent to them and they forward it according to what I wish which is every week and I have them mail it out on Wed and I usually have it by saturday. Many others use the texas club Escapess RV Club, which has a permanent texas address and they too forward you mail you can google them and find them quite easily.
Good luck to ya.

H2H1

but Lee is that legal, its seem so easy to do.But I guess all the full timers need a permanent address somewhere. I sure wish I could save on my state taxes. well unstill then ,,,,,Good luck and move to a warmer place, that place make me cold just looking . :laugh:

utmtman

Well tell ya what Hollis, there are a ton of people doing it even a few I know who have homes in their home states that they are now claiming as summer homes and they are living in them and using another state as home of record. To avoid taxes mainly.
When I worked at staples in Park City, Ut a few years back I met a lot of people from other states that had homes in Park City and they only lived in them during the ski season and had other homes during summer but they told me they claimed the no tax states as their homes as well and the others as winter homes much like peoples summer homes.
Have not heard of anyone getting in a problem with this except for people from Calif and those who use LLC's that their states have caught up with. And I say Calif because they have a law that if you retire in that state you pay the taxes on that retirement for the rest of your life. Both a friend and my brother got caught up in that one.