Holding tank level indicators are wrong

Wayne

Hello all. Ive been looking for a site like this for sometime. Found one for my truck and it is a super help.

Now to my problem...My holding tank indicators are not reading correct. My black water shows a third full when empty which is no big deal but my grey always shows full even when empty. This causes problems especially in places without sewer hookups. Im figuring there is something on the indicators but I cant seem to get it off. Supposedly theres no way to take these sensors out for cleaning.

Has anyone else had this trouble and what did you do to correct it? All advice will be appreciated.

Gary B

Hi Wayne, welcome to the forum and to rving, and the wonderful world og tank sensors, they hardly ever work right on the holding tanks, as you have noticed, I have heard that if you put 3 to 5 gallons of water in each tank and a couple of bags of ice cubes in each tank, and then drive down the road (like to your next destination), the ice cubes will clean/knock off the stuff thats covering them. I haven't tried it so can't say if it works or doesn't, I just kind of figured out that we can go about 10 days on our black tank & about 4 / 5 days on the grey water tank, and then dump them. Good luck :)

lookn-ahead

Hello Wayne. I think this must be a problem throughout the RV industry. My MH has had the same problem from the day we bought it new. (2000 Itasca Horizon DP)
I have used additives in the black and grey water tanks, let the internal spray clean in the black water run for thirty minutes and still get weird readings. My fresh water tank does the same thing. The LP indicator does not agree with the gauge on the tank.
The guys at the dealership have worked on them, but still get full or 3/4 full readings most of the time. I simply don't worry about it anymore. I suspect it has something to do with grounding of the sensors, but not sure.
I just dump when I get the opportunity and take a peek (disgusting) to see how full the black water is when I flush the toilet.
If you find a solution, please let me know via this forum.
Thanks,
doc :laugh:

hertig

If you can find one (AccuGauge) try installing a holding tank monitor which uses EXTERNAL sensors. This avoids the problem with toilet paper/grease etc clogging the sensors. If this is
not practical, there are sensor cleaning chemicals out there which may help.

Wayne

Thanks for the ideas. Ive heard about the ice but my question is how do I get it in the grey tank? Hope that dont sound to dumb :question:

Gary B

Hi Wayne, thats a good question I posted about the ice cubes but never gave that a thought until you rased it. I guess one could go up on the roof and drop them down the vent pipe but thats not really a great way. I too have used different cleaners, and the cleaner wand, and never have had real good luck either, as Hertig mentioned the AaccuGauge is suppose to work. :) :cool: :bleh: