Home Again But..

ARCHER

Well, stayed out of the snow and ice and cold temps for the winter, however, stayed sick most of the time. Gotta go to home doctors to see what is happening.
Not a real good winter for us. Had blow out on the way to Florida last fall, when checking air pressure before leaving found another tire down and guess what?, another blowout about half way home. Three in five months. OK, the tires were old so expected it a little bit. Got just bout all new ones now.
Windshield now has crack on drivers side. Anybody know where I can get a replacement drivers side windshield for a 89 Winn, Chieftain, 31RT?
Dash controls stopped working for heat/ac/defrost/etc. Blower works (fan) for different power, but air only comes out of defroster area and a little at feet. Not sure but think it might be a vac hose loose somewhere.
And the leak from roof that I fought for so long, came back again.

Guess I'm either gonna sell it for scrap or try to fix it up again for another year. If health stays the same, will probably change to condo staying for winter months. Hate that, but can't expect wife to do all the hard work for me. Guess I should not be crying on your shoulders, but so many of you are kind of like family for the last few years.

Anyway, hello to all. Enjoy your summer. See ya ;)

TexasClodhopper

Re: Home Again But..

Well, Archer, maybe Texas will do you better next winter. Glad you made it through those blowouts. My tires aren't old enough to worry about, but I'm being really careful.

We'll be thinkin' 'bout ya while were planning our trip to MO in June.

DL Rupper

Hey Archer, sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you can get back up to speed for the RV season next year.

Just how old were your tires? I hate to be nosey, but I'm getting ready to go out for about 6 mos and my tires are 6 years old. I wouldn't even think about using them for the next 6 mos if they had been on the RV for all that time. They sat on the Tire Dealers shelf for the first 2 years. It seems to me if they were out of the sun and not inflated or used they should be up to 6 more mos use. They are Michelin XPS RIB tires that have 4 full steel belts in the tread and 1 steel belt in the sidewall. So far I have never had any problems with XPS RIB tires, but I haven't pushed past 6 years before.

Any tire experts out there care to comment.

Shadow

Hi ARCHER, first things first. Get your Drs. appointment and get feeling better. As bad as you been feeling, the MH issues seem overwhelming right now. Take care my man, and give the Mrs. our best.

ARCHER

Thanks and hi to all. Went to Dr today and on new med, x-rays, etc. Lung dr in about ten days. Have not been able to breath to good lately. Bad lungs. On o2 and it helps. I'm still rotten and will continue to post and read as long as I can.
DL, I hate to admit it but the tires I had the blowouts on were "original 89s". I had pretty new on outside but kept the old on inside (they did not have any cracks, etc., and only 5800 miles) and old spare. After I buy the new one, I'll have pretty new all around (three less than 6 months old and 4 less than 5 years old). I have good sam ERS and they were absolutely great on getting the tires changed for me. Last blow out they were there in less than an hour and done in less than 30 min on inside rear tire. I put the hub cap holder and cap back on and wouldn't ya know it, when I stopped that night (last WEd) I had lost the hub and inside holder. Guess I should have let the young fellow put it on for me. Tried to help.
Anybody know about the windishield I cracked and where I might get a reasonable one?????
Thanks for caring friends, ;)

C Nash

Sorry to hear about your health problems Archer. Know the feeling. Guess we will have to start taking the Drs with us :( .Sure hate to hear that you may have to go the condo route but, we have to do what we have to sometimes. At least the parts on the MH can be replaced. How big is the crack? If it's small they can repair those things if you have it done pronto. Do you have insurance for w/shield coverage. Hang in there and tell the madam hello. Keep us posted and our prayers are with you'll.

ARCHER

Chelse,
I think the crack is a little too big to patch. It starts at the upper left and runs a little over half way down to the bottom. I've got insurance but the deductible will probably be less than the windshield, I'm guessing. I'll need to find out where I can even find one for the ole gal. Any ideas??? Linda is taking real good care of me so don't worry. BTW, my blowout was just South of Birmingham coming home. It was North of there, going South last fall........people puttin stuff on the road around your neck of the woods to drum up business???? :laugh: ;) :)

deniloo

RE: Home Again But..

I haven't been around here very long but I sure do wish you well. Doesn't matter where you relax, either in a condo or RV,relaxin' is relaxin'!:)

ARCHER

Thanks Deniloo, your exactly right.

Did get a quote for the broken windshield from a place in Elkhart, In. A little over $900.00, and I have $500.00 deductible. Gonna check with my insurance company and see if they know of a cheaper place. ;)

C Nash

Archer, call your insurance and see if the 500 applies to the windshield. I have 500 deduct with progressive but, for the w/shield it was 250. Something about no claims in so many year and I didn't argue with them :laugh: You will probably come out better with the 500 deduct. Guess you will avoid Alabama in the future. Wish you had called on your way back through. I owe you and Linda a meal :) Hang in there everything will be ok

Browzin

ARCHER
Here is a few places that you can check with for the windshield.

Allright Windows, Georgia 1-800-642-9988

Window Components mfg. Inc. (800) 382-9541, (305) 688-2521

Glasparts
P.O. Box 716
Boring, OR 97009
Phone: (503) 254-9694
Windshields for motorhomes.

I had my windshield crack about the same as yours a couple of months ago in Quartzsite,AZ. and a glass place came out and repaired the crack with out any problems. Insurance covered it in full, being it was a repair and not replacement.

On your heat/ac controls on the dash not working. If you can get to the back side of the controls you find that they operate a vacuum controled s/w valve. 90% of the time the problem is caused by a bad vacuum line, the rest its the vacuum control valve.

ARCHER

Browzin, tks for the info. I contacted my insurance company today and have scheduled replacement for two weeks (they have to order it). Have to pay deductible.
I'll check the heater/dash controls after it warms up. Came home from Florida two weeks early it looks like.....cold for next 5-7 days here in Indianapolis. ;) :bleh: :)

rddog8691

hello everyone I was just reading through and noticed acher's problem with his heat controls i have the same problem on my 1990 coachmen, anyone have more info on a problem like this