Honda Generators / CARB-EPA Compliant

routabit

Has anyone ever had someone inspect a generator for CARB/EPA compliance? I live in CA and am aware of the EPA std's here, and the fact that the Hondas have a different gas cap to meet the stds. I just can't imagine having the "generator police" running around the RV parks inspecting gas caps.....

I'm getting ready to buy a new EU2000i and can get it cheaper outside of CA (no tax & free shipping). I called the local Honda dealer and the gas caps are only $16. I even called Honda/USA Tech to confirm that the gas cap is the only difference.

Browzin

RE: Honda Generators / CARB-EPA Compliant

routabit - 9/27/2007 9:32 AM

Has anyone ever had someone inspect a generator for CARB/EPA compliance? I live in CA and am aware of the EPA std's here, and the fact that the Hondas have a different gas cap to meet the stds. I just can't imagine having the "generator police" running around the RV parks inspecting gas caps.....

And your question is? You have already answered it for your self.
What are they going to do, make you get a new gas cap like they do when you have your vehicle smoged, and they tell you the gas cap doesn't pass CARB smog requirements?

routabit

Re: Honda Generators / CARB-EPA Compliant

I once called my local industrial small engine/equipment dealer and was trying to find a quieter exhaust option for my older Honda EM1800 generator. They told me that if you are running a new non-CARB generator, or even modified a pre-CARB generator in any way you could be fined by the EPA. They told me that they are actually checking this nowadays in campgrounds and RV Parks. I was trying to see is anyone has actually seen this happen. Otherwise, I can assume he was just blowing smoke to sell a new gen.

routabit

UPDATE- I was told by a vendor that Honda gens from outside of CA are labled on the box NOT FOR SALE OR USE IN CA, so he wouldn't sell me one. He also confirmed that they are not labeled on the unit itself. He had one good point that if it were to need warranty work that involves the Ser#, it may create another issue. My response is what do people do when they move from one state to another. I'll try another dealer.

Browzin

Hmm interesting, we spend time durning the winter at Pilot Knob BLM, just outside of Yuma (on the Calif side). If Ca. epa wanted to inspect generators, that would be the place to do it. Everyone has a least one. We have never seen or heard of any one ever being questioned. We live in Nevada & just bought a new Honda 2000i and it came with a LA county approval sticker on it (got it from Speedway sales). I would contact a few other online dealers.

routabit

Found local CA dealer that has them for $899+tx. $100 cheaper than CWorld 's sale price. Thanks.