How can I stay warm...cheaply?

Bobdob

I want to keep warm in my RV but catalytic heat is very expensive. Anybody out there know of a cheaper idea? I don't need anything permanent just for those cold days/nights?

Thanks,

Bob

joy

Those small, inexpensive ceramic heaters do a very good job at knocking off the chill. They are about 8-10" square, have a fan and thermostat - your local disount store should have them. For colder temps or longer use time, the oil filled radiator shaped ones do a good job but they do take up more space. Both are electric powered.

joy

fair

I wear insulated coveralls pretty
cheap. Same pair about 8 years.
They have been washed a few times:):)

Too much fun is more
than you can have!!!
UNITED WE STAND

Gary B

The insulated coveralls are cheap, but they are sooooo lumpy in bed. We too use a 1500 watt ceramic heater, they work very well, but are somewhat noisy, the catalytic heaters are probaly the most efficient, and are totally quite, but are spendy. Happy trails GB

Edited by - Gary B on Nov 09 2001 10:00:51 PM

windlovr

Baggy cotton clothes or socks and a blow dryer let you put the heat right where it's needed. Of course this is a active procedure which is good because you need to be aware of what, other than you, is being heated so you don't smolder or go up in flames. Fabrics, like nylon, that could melt should be avoided for safety sake. Many of the newer hair dryers have a trigger like control that cuts off the heat when squeezed. This gives you much better temperature control than the usual high/low switch.

smoking1

If you have a Coleman A/C on your unit you can add heat strips.
You may have to change your thermostat but they are available for most Colemans and some Duo-Therms.They do a great job in moderate climates.
Or......You and your mate can get naked in a sleeping bag and cuddle!
Best heat source I've found........

Edited by - smoking1 on Dec 02 2001 12:10:17 AM

wohlwa

Okay, I hate to sound dumb, but can't you use your furnace? I know propane isn't cheap, but isn't that why we have heaters?

2000 Coachman 300 TBS (30 foot trailer, bunk beds, large slider) pulled by a 2001 Ford Excursion

kda

I tend to agree with wohlwa. Why not use the furnace? I go up to the mountains in Va. hunting for a week every year. i use my furnace all week long and don't even use all of my dual 30lb propane tanks, and that includes cooking and refridgerator and hot water. So go ahead, use that furnace, it's not that expensive.

Kevin, 1995 Sunline 26ft. BH

Krazeehorse

Turn steering wheel until compass reads south.
Accelerate.
Brake when outdoor thermometer reaches low 70's.
:laugh:

pattym

first winter in trailer, can anyone tell me how to camp and keep lines from freezing, going to cold area soon and don't have a clue what to do. Help!!!!!!!!!!

DL Rupper

Hey pattym, do you have enclosed/heated fresh/grey/black water tanks? If so, keep the furnance on when it gets real cold. The hot air is ducted to the underbelly and keeps your lines/tanks from freezing. If your trailer underbelly isn't enclosed and heated, good luck.

cybercelt

Staying warm during winter and overwintering in cold climate:

Make sure your RV is sealed. Use thermal curtains or insulate your windows as that is where you will lose most of your heat. Insulate the roof vents too.

Park where you are protected from the north wind by trees, hills, buildings or other RVs. Skirt your trailer using insultated or wooden panels (maybe snow?). Wrap your RV water pipes as you do at home. Run warm water through the pipes periodically.

If it is sunny where you winter, use solar power

Or, as was suggested above, come on down to the warmer parts of the country.

rhpgolf

quote:Originally posted by Bobdob

I want to keep warm in my RV but catalytic heat is very expensive. Anybody out there know of a cheaper idea? I don't need anything permanent just for those cold days/nights?

Thanks,

Bob

rhpgolf

They make an underware called winter skins. They are a two layer about the thickness of a tee shirt. They have a one piece and a two piece. Sears use to sell them but I think any outdoor sporting place will have them try Cabellos. They will keep your butt warm maybe too warm. ;)

ARCHER

If it gets cold enough to want some warmth, I either do one of four things, (1) Furnace, (2) electric heater, (3) head South til it gets warmer, or (4 and best of all) hug up to Moma til I'm real warm. :cool: ;) :approve:

John Harrelson

I live in northern Nevada.
The winter temps range from -10 to +28 at night and +20 to +40 in the daytime during the winter months.
We have an almost constant wind blowing off the snow covered mountains day and night, averaging 5 to 30 mph, with some days having 50 to 60 mph gusts and over 100 mph gusts in the mountain passes.

I live full time in a Fleetwood Prowler 30.5 ft. 5th wheel w/one slide. I use only propane gas for the forced air furnace, for the water heater and cooking.

I average about one gallon of propane per day for all this.. I keep the inside temp at 70 during the day and turn the thermostat down to 50 when going to bed.

Unless you live in an area where it is "constantly" below freezing, 24 hours a day, you should not be using any more propane than I do, unless you have something wrong with your furnace or water heater.

A space heater is nice for taking the chill off while watching television... BUT... you are taking a real chance of damaging your RV if it is used as the main source of heat..

The forced air furnace "Forces" warm air into the areas where the water lines and tanks are located in many RVs and a space heater will not do that..

I suggest checking out your furnace and water heater if you are using over one gallon or two gallons (max) of propane in a day..

As for using a heat tape on the water line that feeds the RV,, here is the reply I made to someone else's question about using heat tapes on garden hoses.

Maybe it will answer any question you have on that subject....

A "Heat Tape" is a long plastic ribbon that is spiraled around the water hose that feeds your trailer when you are hooked up to city water. It works just like an electric blanket does on your bed. It cycles on and off to maintain a temperature of about 40 degrees on your water hose so the water won't freeze during the winter.

It must be used in combination with some type of insulation. By itself it's no good. Most people who live full time in their RV use this system.

There are several types of heat tapes on the market, but the only one that I can recommend is the one made by "Snow King" (?) Think that's the name on package..

And make sure that you get the model with "clear plastic bubble" on the end that has the plug on it. When the tape is plugged in, a little red light will glow inside the clear plastic bubble and you will know that it's working properly.

Remember to buy the proper length of water hose first... then buy the heat tape for that length water hose.. On the back of the heat tape package there is a chart to tell you the proper length of heat to purchase for your water hose.

best wishes,
John