How do I protect Grey\black water holding tanks?

robin hood

Traveling to midwest for Christmas. Want to protect half full holding tanks with anti-freeze. Understand can't use rv anti-freeze can I use regular anti-freeze
or some other method of preventing freeze up in holding tanks? :( :( :(

miket

Re: How do I protect Grey\black water holding tanks?

:eek: Regular anti freeze is considered hazardous waste -- I think the fines would be a big deterrent to using it, along with the harm it would do to the sewage system where you dump.

Kirk

robin hood

You most definately can use RV water system antifreeze in your waste tanks and if they are not heated, that is exactly what you should use. Not only is motorvehicle coolant a hazard, it also will damage the seals in your waste system if you use very much or it or very often. The RV type will harm nothing at all, but it does cost a bit more. Keep in mind that you will need to add antifreeze based upon a full tank just to be sure that it does not freeze. That will probably mean at least a gallon per tank, depending upon the size of tank and the outside temperatures.

s.harrington

Most RV antifreeze says "do not dilute" so I don't know how you can use it in your holding tanks. If there is a brand that doesn't say this maybe Kirk can give us that info.

robin hood

RE: How do I protect Grey\black water holding tanks?

Thank you Kirk, Texas Clodhopper, S Harrington and Miket for your
input. Would either of the following work? 1] Denatured Alcohol in holding tanks? 2] Salt Water in holding tanks? Sincere thanks from Robin Hood :bleh:

Poppa

You know unless you are in extremely cold weather for a while freezing I would think is not a problem if you are using them. The residual heat from the motor home will help to keep them from freezing.

I have been in weather with temps as low as 15 to 20 for days at a time and had no problems

H2H1

RE: How do I protect Grey\black water holding tanks?

JUST GETTING THE HANDBAG SPAMM OFF THE FRONT PAGE

C Nash

How do the spammers pull a 2006 post back up :angry:

Bounder Boy

Although my tanks do not have heaters, I have found where my furnace does have a vent that goes down to the basement area of the tanks. I doubt it would keep the free in full winter, but should do the job if I were camping in a night of two of freezing weather.

oldguybc

Best way to prevent holding tank freezeup??? Don't do cold weather! ;)

Ryan41

oldguybc - 9/8/2010 8:37 AM

Best way to prevent holding tank freezeup??? Don't do cold weather! ;)

i like that thinking, didnt use my car a about a week over christmas and the engine froze up so i slowly over a few days tried to thaw it with water bottles and other heating items, i know better for next winter