How long does it take before black/grey water tanks are full?

bassmen6

I know this varies based on tank size, number of people, and habits, but does anyone have any ideas on a 30 gallon tank size for 2-4 people?

We are waiting for warmer weather before we use our camper for the first time, but trying to gauge this sort of thing ahead of time? We plan to camp without hookups this year and would like to stay up to a week at a time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

LEN

Re: How long does it take before black/grey water tanks are full?

Grey water will be your biggest problem. We, two of us and 45 gallons, can get 2 weeks out of our grey if we really watch it and take showers out. You would be surprised how much just washing the face and a spit bath plus a dish now and then will add up. We also use a dish pan in the sink and carry the grey to disposal sites if available. Also pottie in the what ever available comfort stations to make the black last longer.

LEN

elkhartjim

My experience has been if you have kids along, they can fill the grey tank real quickly. They seem to wash their hands much more frequently and longer than when at home.

rjf7g

There are lots of ways to conserve water and waste water...grey water is generated by washing things and can sometimes be dumped on the ground or released from the grey water tank. Two ways to save here - don't wash things or figure out some other (healthy) way to get rid of the grey water. The cap for my grey water discharge has a water hose connection. I can hook up a water hose (not used for drinking water) to it and get enough pressure to use grey water to put out a campfire. This is illegal in some places, though. Black water is generated by flushing the toilet. As you only want to dump black water in to a system designed to accept it, the only option you have is to limit the toilet flushing.

Regardless, you have to think about your fresh water source as well. If there is some place nearby where you could empty your waste water tanks and refill your fresh water tank, with simply going to the trouble of packing up and driving down the road a bit, you may be able to extend your stay.

Have fun!

C Nash

Tote tanks can be great to have.

Kirk

I'd say that inexperienced RV folks will usually fill the gray water tank of thirty gallons in two to four days. If everyone showers each day, it will be two or less. If you take long showers then perhaps only one.