How to evaluate an RV (Georgie Boy)

frank44133

I'm new to RV’s and want one mostly as a 2nd home. I don’t plan to drive it much for now. I'm thinking about getting a 1987 Georgie Boy, Cruise Air. Never heard about them before a few days ago.

What should I know in considering this vehicle? Since it’s a Class-A, do I need a special license? As long as it looks good, should I just get it? What else do I need to know and consider? Is it important to use carfax and get their report if I plan to mostly park it? Any better reports out there?

Any help is much appreciated!

Frank

DL Rupper

Re: How to evaluate an RV (Georgie Boy)

Don't get in a hurry. Find out all your answers before you buy. Answer number #1. Most States don't require a special license to drive a RV. Check out your State's particular rules as they will be good in any state, if you have a valid state license.

Before you buy, hook it up to electric, water, and a sewer and make sure all of the appliances/systems work. No matter how cheap the RV is, if you need to replace say the refrigerator or a water heater or sewer holding tanks, it could cost big $$$. Look around and see what's on the market and how much.

Kirk

Georgie Boy was a Michigan company until purchased by Coachman about ten years ago and just two years ago the company was absorbed into the Coachman organization and the Michigan factory was closed. While built by Georgie Boy, they had a very good reputation.

The Cruise Air was the top line built by Georgie Boy. Next down was the Cruise Master and the low price line was the Pursuit. They were generally of above average quality and reputation for their respective price ranges.

The catch is that you are looking at an RV which is 21 years old so much more important than the original quality is the history of care, use and maintenance. Are there signs or leaks that were not immediately repaired? What is the condition of the roof and the caulking in all seams and roof/wall penetrations? How old are the tires as they should be replaced no later than seven years of age, regardless of tread wear? (you can check a tire's age from the DOT code stamped in the sidewall) When were the belts and hoses last replaced? How often has the transmission been serviced, engine oil changed, wheel bearings been repacked, break fluid and coolant replaced, and all of the other required maintenance been done?

There is a great deal to determining the condition of an RV beyond seeing what it looks like and do the appliances all work. Do you know how to check for leaks in the fresh water system? Does it have any soft spots in the walls or floors? Does the chassis show sings of oil or fluid leaks? Are there stains on walls and ceilings to indicate any leaks? You need to crawl over and under, look at and into, go over and through every opening, part of the chassis and of the coach. There is a very great deal to know about RVs.

To your question "As long as it looks good, should I just get it?" the answer is, how much do you like to gamble? With a total lack of RV knowledge that is exactly what this would be. You would be wise to locate a well qualified mobile RV tech and pay him to spend several hours going over everything before you buy. And unless you are a qualified mechanic, you should do the same thing with a good mechanic.

hertig

If you are not going to drive it much, a trailer may suit your needs better. Motorhomes are great for travelling, but for long term stays, a trailer, particularly a fifth wheel, seem to be better.