Hughes Net for internet?

DARLING

Honey is driving me crazy again :laugh: :laugh:

We have Direct TV & the commercial came on obout hi speed internet thru sat.

From what I have read the setup & installation is not cheap. BUt the speed is there & both of us can use it at the same time.

We currently use a Sprint air card which works but we both cannot be on at the same time. With Sprint we have unlimited usage, so the issue is signing out from his laptop into mine.

What does everyone use? Does anyone have Hughes? Is it worth it?

Darlin :cool:

H2H1

Re: Hughes Net for internet?

Hi Darling, my daughter has SAT for all her needs and very satisfied with it. it even better since I bought her 4N1 PRINTER , her faxes come in real quick and being she sometime works at home in the mortgage banking she needed the speed. I am looking into getting an in motion SAT to replace the one I have now to use as we travel plus with the laptop. good luck on which way you go.

DARLING

Thanks Hollis

I will keep an eye in here to see what others have to say.

JamieB

Darling.

If you are generally happy with the performance of your aircard, I believe I would stick with it. Satellite, while a great solution for a lot of people is fairly expensive and has a few other drawbacks. If you want to both use the aircard at the same time just get a cellular router. You plug the aircard into the router and it can be used by multiple people simultaneously. You can get one anywhere from $150 up to $300 or so. This is not a router that you can get at Best Buy or stores like that. You would need to go to some place like evdoinfo.com or similar.

With satellite, you would be able to get internet ANYWHERE in the US, Mexico, etc that you wanted to travel. You certainly can't say that for the aircard, but the aircard service is getting better all the time. Also, satellite comes in two flavors, manual and automatic. The manual systems will cost anywhere from $500 used to $1,200 new. The automatics will cost about $2,000 used and $4,000+ new. For some people who absolutely must have internet regardless of where they travel, satellite is the only option. Most people don't fall into that category and an aircard is quite sufficient for their needs.

DARLING

We already have DTV sat in the rv. We have a Kingdome system. so I would guess that is automatic :question:

The way I understood it was that they have to change the LNB thing and route another cable in for the internet :question:

I have seen in parks people having their dish setting in the yard with the BIG LNB thing, which I assumed was for their internet :question: I saw their cable running in thru the compartment. At the time we were not really interested in it.

Never heard of an aircard router but will check it out & see if that is the wasy to go. A one time investment vs monthly.

Thanks Darlin :cool:

JamieB

Darling.

You cannot receive internet from a tv dish or dome. Satellite Internet requires a 2-way communication that television dishes don't offer. Also, the cellular router does not eliminate your monthly aircard charge. You still pay Sprint your $60 per month, you just are now able to share that aircard with multiple users.

DARLING

Jamie

Wow. There was a lot to read & understand in evdo. Which one does what & how. :eek:

I see that this is not just a quick & easy decision.

Kirk

While we have satellite internet from the primo company, Starband and are very happy with it, I'm not sure that is your best way to go yet. I like Starband because they do support the mobile user with free tech support service and it is even from US citizens!

That said, before you change what you have now, since you are satisfied I think that you should check out the routers which will accept a cellular "air card" and then make it available by wifi. I don't know that the Sprint card will work but I know that both AT&T and Verison do and since the protocol is standard to fit any computer, it should also mean any card will work with such wireless routers. I think that you should try that first.

utmtman

I have hughesnet satellite thru moto sat with an automatic satellite system on my rv. Yes very pricey but when we got it last year we could not get aircard service in northern utah or northern colorado where we were located. We have verizon for phone and was using them for aircard but had to drive 10 miles to connect to a tower. We would have had the save problem when we went to arizona last year had we not gone to the motosat. Nice thing about motosat or satellite service, as long as you can see the southern skys you can get net. Not so with an air card, lots of dead spots or lack of tower locations. Been there done that. As the saying goes how many bars do you have??? I always have five now.

Gruffy

Satellite comes in two flavors.

High speed down link, where you receive high speed data off your satellite receiver... but use a telephone to connect to the data center.

Full satellite where you use an uplink (RF transmitter) to connect via the satellite to the data center and a phone line is not required. Both send and receive data are over the satellite.

That being said Hughes charges for the amount of data you use. If you try a bunch of big downloads on a budget system you trip the Fair Access Policy and speed drops to slower then dial up for 24hours, then resets.

High speed is also relative. Expect downloads between 500kb and a meg..... upload speed of between 25 and 50kb. Although it worked well when we traveled we are switching over to Cox in the fall.

If you are going to use it to communicate, remember there is a 2 to 4 second delay. It takes a while for a signal to get out to the satellite and return so VOIP is not what your used to.

utmtman

I have not problem downloading or uploading on my satellite system and as for connection time about 1/1000 of a second. On a busy day when a lot are getting on the net like from 8 am to 9 am it can slow a bit but never had a real problem. If the net boggs or I loose connection I just shut off the modem turn it on and after about 5 to 10 seconds I am back in business. Yes we loose the net in rain storms and snow storms but loose tv which is also on satellite more often in weather and a lot faster than net. Including loosing all tv and not the net on some rainy days. Also where I am right now there is little or no cell service again for any cell phone. Glad to have my motosat. And on the moto sat system you dont deal with hughesnet although you have their service, moto sat handles it all for you and you pay them as well.

blueprzm

RE: Hughes Net for internet?

we had hughes it's like 700 to start and it's way big an ackward to move...the main thing is you are limited to the amount of information you can recieve....personally i thought it was horrible it would be cheaper to get a nother internet card from your cell provider

Kirk

An internet card from a cell phone company is much less costly to start, but if you spend a lot of time in remote areas or if you must have high speed internet everywhere you go, the only answer is satellite. If you spend most of your time in fairly high population areas, cellular service is probably best and will cost less.

There are only two companies to choose from Hughes and Starband. Hughes has more satellites but they don't generally allow you to choose which one you will be on, while Starband uses only three but they do allow users to switch if their travels should take them to an area that the present one doesn't work. I changed a couple of years ago to spend a summer in Maine.

The other advantage to Starband is that they have a much more lenient use policy than does Hughes. But Hughes is much larger, has more dealers and you can buy via the internet or phone, while Starband requires a buyer to have hands-on training from the dealer. Starband does license the user to do his own installs and supplies direct phone support (toll free and from the US) while Hughes does not support the user of a portable dish, moved himself.

I like Starband best, but in fairness, Hughes is less expensive and easier to acquire when you start out. Each one has it's satisfied customers.

utmtman

If you go thru motosat they use hughesnet for the internet service you can have a dozen different satellite. I started on one and have now moved to another which has given me far better service. The installation was expensive but I bought the totally automatic system mounted on my motor home. One can also buy the satellite they set up themselves for a heck of a lot less. Yes I pay 70 a month for service but I hear tell that most cards charge 49. I had several different card sevices but found I got little service in most the places I traveled. I tried, sprint, altel, and verizon. Verizon gave me best card service for the money but still hard to get service if you are not within mile of towers. As for downloading if you have hughesnet at your home I hear they have a problem with people doing downloads but I have yet to have a problem and maybe that is cuz I go thru moto sat. I have downloaded several songs at one time and the wife downloads games all the time.

Gruffy

They do have a Fair Access Policy (FAP)...... the FAP kicks in with downloads in the megabites.... songs are not a problem.

Cost me $80 a month on a two year agreement... included the electronics. We now have a permanent winter site and a UHF link available at home so we will probably shut the satellite down this year... but it worked fine for us on the road.