Hwy 101 in Oregon and Washington

shyster368

We are taking a trip up to Washington-the Olympic Penninsula-with our 31' 5th wheel. We are going up I 5 from California. On the way back, we were thinking of coming down Hwy 101, along the coast of Washington and Oregon. Does anyone have experience with a large rig on that highway? Good, bad, scary, wonderful? :question: Any recommendations for places to stay or avoid along the way? Thank you for your input.

DL Rupper

Re: Hwy 101 in Oregon and Washington

Hey shyster368, welcome to the forum. You won't have any problems. Lots of RV Parks. Beautiful scenery The Coast of Oregon is the best. We have been up and down Hwy 101 many times with our 30' 5er.

shyster368

:) Thank you so much for your reply. We need to get back to I-5 in Oregon; do you know the best way to get from 101 to 5?

DL Rupper

I have been over Hwy 199 from Crescent City, CA to Grants Pass, Oregon and it wasn't too bad of a road, but I didn't pull it with my 5th wheel behind me. All the roads from Hwy 101 to I-5 in Oregon are mountainous and twisty. If you take Hwy 42 from Coos Bay, OR to Green, OR you will miss some really great scenery from Coos Bay down to Crescent City.

We usually take Hwy 101 all the way down to San Francisco.

What you don't want to do is take Hwy 299 from Arcata, CA to Redding, CA. Did that once and it was quite a pull up the mountain with my old 95 Dodge Cummins Diesel.